Oz info needed please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oz info needed please.

Hi . An ancestor emigrated to Australia and was said to have been murdered very soon after arriving there. I wonder if anyone can find anything on him. He was listed on the 1901 Census in Ireland but not on the 1911.

Our Great Uncle , Francis Loughlin born 1887/8 Brackarymore, Manorhamilton,Co Leitrim, Ireland probably arrived about 1906/8, said to have been murdered in the outback ? soon after.

I would appreciate any help offered.

Sunny x

You can search old newspapers here:

Trove - The National Library of Australia, in collaboration with Australian State and Territory libraries, runs the Australian Newspaper Digitization Program with the aim of making as many publications available online as possible.

Do you know which State he went to?

What were his parents' names? (useful to find him in the death index)
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 04-05-12, 12:56.

Comment

Hi Sunny,
      Do you know the names of his parents and whether Francis had any other Christian names?

Comment

Originally posted by caddie51 View Post
        Hi Sunny,
        Do you know the names of his parents and whether Francis had any other Christian names?
        Hi Caddie

His parents were Phalem ( or Felix) Loughlin and Bridget nee Mcgrath. They didn't go to Australia, as far as I know he went on his own, other siblings went to USA and Scotland . I did look at the link Mary gave me . I noticed a Francis Loughlin dying in Warwick, Queensland, ( The Warwick Examiner newspaper) he was found dead on Helene St bridge on 11/12/1919, this may be him, it didn't give his age. The 1901 Census of Ireland only gave his name as Francis, no other forenames).

sunny
        Last edited by Sunny Rosy; 04-05-12, 23:34.

Comment

According to the Queensland BDM index, a Francis Loughlin aged 21, no parents' names given, died in Queensland in 1912. The age isn't quite right, but the informant may not have known his exact age.

This page explains how to apply for a death cert:

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 04-05-12, 23:44.

Comment

Here's the newspaper report of that death; might be your Francis, because he came from Co. Leitrim, and was aged 21:

Early on Monday morning as W. H. Payne, yardsman at the Warwick Hotel, was returning from a paddock over the Helene-street bridge he found ...
            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 05-05-12, 00:06.

Comment

Thanks for that Mary, have you found a date / reference so I can order the death cert please?
              It is my Francis, the date was 11th dec 1911 not 1919 as I indicated.

sunny
              Last edited by Sunny Rosy; 05-05-12, 00:28.

Comment

Yes, it's the one I mentioned in post #5. The death reported in the newspaper took place on 11th December 1911, not 1919, and was presumably registered in early 1912.

A Francis Loughlin aged 20 travelled from England to Qld on the Durham in September 1911, which fits with the evidence given at the inquest that he'd only been in Australia for a few months:

Connecting Queenslander's with their past—the histories of families, local communities and the state. Significant records of government are available and accessible.
                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 05-05-12, 00:07.

Comment

From Ancestry:

Queensland, Australia, Passenger Lists, 1848-1912

Name: Francis Loughlin
                  Birth Year: abt 1891
                  Place of Origin: Scotland
                  Ship Name: Durham
                  Port of Departure: London, England
                  Port of Arrival: Brisbane
                  Arrival Date: 1 Sep 1911

Goodness knows whether "Scotland" was the correct birthplace or an error.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                    Yes, it's the one I mentioned in post #5. The death reported in the newspaper took place on 11th December 1911, not 1919, and was presumably registered in early 1912.

A Francis Loughlin aged 20 travelled from England to Qld on the Durham in September 1911, which fits with the evidence given at the inquest that he'd only been in Australia for a few months:

http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/Resea...en-lythgoe.pdf

Doh!! I didn't scroll down far enough to see the application form.Thanks so much. I am pleased to have this info about Francis, although saddened by his manner of death. The story , in the family, was that Francis was accosted in the street and robbed and left for dead, his father was the only one to know his fate, his siblings weren't told that he had died (sounds like he was the blue eyed one). He was our maternal gt uncle, our paternal family farmed next door and they were the ones who told the story of his death.
                    Thanks again Mary, you treasure.

sunny x

Comment

Loughlin Francis

Originally posted by Sunny Rosy View Post
                      Hi . An ancestor emigrated to Australia and was said to have been murdered very soon after arriving there. I wonder if anyone can find anything on him. He was listed on the 1901 Census in Ireland but not on the 1911.

Our Great Uncle , Francis Loughlin born 1887/8 Brackarymore, Manorhamilton,Co Leitrim, Ireland probably arrived about 1906/8, said to have been murdered in the outback ? soon after.

I would appreciate any help offered.

Sunny x

Hello
                      The man you are talking about here was my Granduncle Francis, born and lived in Currafore, Manorhamilton about a mile away from Brackarymore. My Grandmother Ann was his youngest sister and she married James Fox ( known as the Master ) from Brackarymore. I too am James Fox. One of my brothers was named John Felix after his Great Grandfather and Granduncle Felix Loughlin The only one of the Loughlins other than my Grandmother that I knew was my Grandaunt Lizzie who lived alone, unmarried, in the home place in Currafore. The old home has since been demolished but my youngest brother Gerrard still owns the land there and lives on the old Fox homestead in Brackarymore
                      Am building a website to put all info on and would be interested in any contribution you might be able to make
                      In expectation of further contact
                      James Kevin Fox

Comment

Hello James,

Sunny was on site today, not sure if she is still looking into this line at the moment, hopefully she will see the replies and get back to you.
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Sunny Rosy,
                          My apologies for never replying to your post, for some strange reason today is the first time I have received an alert to postings on this thread.
                          Francis did die 1911, the death registered 1912.
                          Francis was buried at 12th December, 1911 WARWICK, QUEENSLAND, there is an entry on familysearch.org.

Name: Francis Loughlin
                          Death Date: 11 Dec 1911
                          Death Place: Queensland
                          Registration Year: 1912
                          Registration Place: Queensland
                          Registration Number: 004978
                          Page Number: 15497

Comment

I have sent Sunny a PM to alert her of these replies.
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Julie, I hadn't seen the replies. I do have the info about Francis Loughlin. James Kevin is my husband's 1st cousin and contacted me through my email , he was unaware of my FTF name and I see he has only just joined as a member.

sunny r

Comment

Working...
                              X