Family Tree Maker 2011 - Read Only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Tree Maker 2011 - Read Only

Hi - I have installed FTM on a second computer and am trying to copy a family file to it. I have the file burned to disc but when I try to copy it into the new file on the second computer it only comes up as "Read Only". It cannot be seen unless the disc is in the CD rom.

Can anyone please tell me where I am going wrong and how I should do it correctly.

Many thanks in advance
    Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Being doing some online research. The second computer runs with Vista and this would appear to be where the problem lays.

In the first instance I must run FTM 2011 as Administrator and then download some updates. Quite disappointed about this, having praised the socks off FTM to everyone.

Will continue to try and repair tomorrow.
    Linda - Happy Hunting

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

I don't know but could you try copying the file from the cd onto your hard drive, then try putting it into FTM from there. Just a suggestion as I have never used the windows version of FTM and I haven't used windows much since xp either.

Linda
      LindaG

Comment

This is a common problem with files burnt to cd.
        The solution is very simple, copy the file to a hard drive and change the attributes from read only.
        To change attributes
        Open "My computer"
        Locate desired file, right click on file icon, click properties, clear "read only" box.
        Cheers
        Guy
        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Many thanks for your suggestions, I shall give them a go.
          Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Working...
          X