Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Always Always Always check GRO ref given by Ancestry!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always Always Always check GRO ref given by Ancestry!!

When I started all this many moons ago, I would always look at the image to double check that ancestry has transcribed it correctly. BUT having just ordered 10 (yes 10!) certificates last week on behalf of hubbys tree, I jotted all the refs down and ordered away.

Had E-Mail from the GRO to say that they had refunded me on one of the birth certificates as there was no one of the name I had given them at the reference I had given them. when I checked the image it had been mistranscribed!!!!!!!GGGGGGGGGGGGGGrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr r

Now I have to wait even longer for the certificate!!!

Am kicking myself as it is my own fault, I was told years ago by the kind folk here to always check.

WELL I just wanted any newbies out there who maybe have not had this mentioned to them to check the image!!!!!!!!
    KAREN xx

Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post
    When I started all this many moons ago, I would always look at the image to double check that ancestry has transcribed it correctly. BUT having just ordered 10 (yes 10!) certificates last week on behalf of hubbys tree, I jotted all the refs down and ordered away.

Had E-Mail from the GRO to say that they had refunded me on one of the birth certificates as there was no one of the name I had given them at the reference I had given them. when I checked the image it had been mistranscribed!!!!!!!GGGGGGGGGGGGGGrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr r

Now I have to wait even longer for the certificate!!!

Am kicking myself as it is my own fault, I was told years ago by the kind folk here to always check.

WELL I just wanted any newbies out there who maybe have not had this mentioned to them to check the image!!!!!!!!
    Well at least you got your money refunded.

Margaret

Comment

Absolutely Margaret,

It was very good of the GRO, they could have just sent me the certificate for whoever was at the ref I gave them. so at least that was a relief, but was so cross with myself that I didn't check the image, wont be making that mistake again!
      KAREN xx

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post
        Absolutely Margaret,

It was very good of the GRO, they could have just sent me the certificate for whoever was at the ref I gave them. so at least that was a relief, but was so cross with myself that I didn't check the image, wont be making that mistake again!
        I know it's frustrating but it's good they are so pedantic about exact details all matching before they issue - it has saved me on occasion when I have made a mistake entering the ref into their webform.

Margaret

Comment

Oh, for the days of the local RO!

I had a phone call - Are you sure you want this certificate? said the voice "Only we seem to have sent you this one six weeks ago".

(Yup, so they had!)

OC

Comment

How honest of them OC. I remember years ago when i couldn't find a birth reg and rang the local RO the lady was so helpful and said she would have a quick look for me either year of the year i thought it would be registered. she came up with a blank, but it was lovely of her to try.
            KAREN xx

Comment

Have only had one slip up, gave the refs and people...2 sets of couples that had the ref.... and they sent me the other couple and insisted I sent the other certificate back and they would then send the one I had ordered in the first place. I convinced her it was a better idea to send me the certificate I had ordered and enclose a stamped addressed envelope for me to send the other one back and she did!
              Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
              http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Well done for putting your foot down Elaine
                KAREN xx

Comment

Working...
                X