Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding a marriage

Hi,

I am trying to find the marriage of my husbands grandparents.

I have very little information only that they lived in the Hampshire area and must have been married in the 1890's

Thomas Jonus Wendes married Louisa formerly Diddens.

At one time in 1909 they did live in Shalfleet on the Isle of wight where they had a daughter on the 24th of June 1909
    now deceased.

I cannot find them on any free search census sites I belive at some time after Nellie was born they moved onto the main land.

Thomas at one time was a woodman man and I belive he may also of worked with horses.

Any help would be appreciated. rosieloo.

How about this one
    Thomas Jonas Wendes, possible spouse Alice Louisa Diddams.
    Qtr 3 1892 Isle of Wight, Hampshire.
    Moggie

Comment

Just for reference this is the family of the 1911 census:

Thomas Jonas Wendes 40
      Louisa Wendes 40
      Florence Jonas Wendes 18
      Thomas Jonas Wendes 14
      Kathleen Ellen Wendes 12
      Bertha Wendes 6
      Annie Ethel Rose Wendes 4
      Nellie Wendes 2

Street Address: Tinkers Lane, Laura Cottage, Northwood Near West Cowes, I Of W from the 1911 census
      Last edited by Fuzzy; 01-05-12, 14:16. Reason: added text
      KAREN xx

Comment

The 1911 census says they have been married for 19 years which fits with a 1892 marriage.
        This looks like the family in 1901, the names of the children fit with the 3 eldest in 1911.

The odd thing is that a Mary Ann Baxter age 52 widow born Chale I O W is listed as M-I-L to head of house Jonas.
        Moggie
        Last edited by maudarby; 01-05-12, 14:33.

Comment

Oh er I see what you mean moggie, emunerator error?
          Last edited by Fuzzy; 01-05-12, 14:46.
          KAREN xx

Comment

Thought she may have been married before, which would explain the Baxter bit, but she would have been too young
            KAREN xx

Comment

Hi karen,

I am grinning from ear to ear with the info you have sent me.

My husband just popped out I cant wait for him to come home so I can give him the news.

Many thanks, Maureen x

Comment

Hi maudary,

Thanks for the info its great cant believe all the info I have got so quickly.

My husbands just got home and it is his family there is just one Uncle missing from the census Edwin Thomas who ran away as a young boy and joined the navy where sadly he lost his life which must have been before the 1911 census.

My husband is really delighted that he now knows the address where his grandparents and his Mum lived thanks to you and Karen.

Maureen. x

Comment

pleased to help maureen
                  KAREN xx

Comment

But Edwin would only be 3 in 1901, so where is he then?
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

He would have been 13 by 1911 chrissie, so I suppose that isn't too young to have run away, my uncle was out working at 14.

Ah Chrissie, I think you mean where is he on the 1901 that moggie posted?!
                      Last edited by Fuzzy; 01-05-12, 20:16. Reason: added text
                      KAREN xx

Comment

You may already have this but for £3.50 you can download the Register of Seamen's Services docment from the National Archives. I presume this is the Edwin you said ran away to sea. The name is given as Edwin Thomas Jonas Wendes. I've a feeling that he is the same person as Jonas on 1901 and Thomas Jonas on 1911

This describes what the record might contain

Jackie

Comment

Hi,

Many thanks for the info on Edwin thats him we think he must have lied about his age but then so many lads did, we had no idea when and where he was born only that he had run away to sea and lost his life in the war.

We will download his service document.

Both my husband and I have tried to get onto the free census site but have never been able to.

After all the trying in just two days we have all this info.

Many thanks, Maureen.

Comment

If you google the British national archives you could download the service record of Edwin Thomas Jonas Wendes for 3.50 (pounds).His service number

was J26356 and he was born on 1 October 1897.

Looks like I was gazumped there.:D
                            Last edited by grumpy; 02-05-12, 08:29.
                            Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

He could have gone to sea quite legally fom the age of 12 as a boy sailor - I have a twiglet who did just that in 1919.

OC

Comment

Hi,

grumpy not entirely guzumed as we now know the date of Edwins birth also we have sent and recieved his service record.

Many thanks to all that have helped us. Maureen.

Comment

Alice Louisa Didhams married Thomas Jonas Wendes 3 quarter 1892 at Isle of Wight
                                  Source England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index: 1837-1915 vol 2b page 1088

Kathleen Ellen Wendes who is listed on the 1911 census info above, married Joseph Wilkinson at South Stoneham in 1918.

J Wilkinson (son-in-law) is listed on the death cert of Thomas Jonas Wendes (retired slaughterman) 74 at 21 westmoreland street Darlington 10 nov 1946 cause of death Cahexia(?) & Carcinoma of tongue

I hope this answers your query here and the other thread.

I believe Thomas had a relationship with Nellie Birkett (nee Brown) whilst living near Stubbington, from around 1914 to 1926. I am concluding that he had left Alice by this time and was working as a Horse Slaughterer. On documentation I have Nellie lists herself as Horse Meat Butcher.

If anyone who has information on this, or his time in Darlington I wold be most greatful.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
                                    If you google the British national archives you could download the service record of Edwin Thomas Jonas Wendes for 3.50 (pounds).His service number

was J26356 and he was born on 1 October 1897.

Looks like I was gazumped there.:D

This might save you the money...

UK, Royal Navy and Royal Marine War Graves Roll, 1914-1919 about Edwin Thomas Jonas Wendes
                                    Name: Edwin Thomas Jonas Wendes
                                    Birth Date: 1 Oct 1897
                                    Birth Place: Ventnor, Isle of Wight
                                    Branch of Service: Royal Navy
                                    Cause of Death: Killed or died as a direct result of enemy action
                                    Official Number Port Division: J.26356. (Dev)
                                    Death Date: 31 May 1916
                                    Ship or Unit: HMS Queen Mary
                                    Location of Grave: Not recorded
                                    Name and Address of Cemetery: Body Not Recovered For Burial
                                    Relatives Notified and Address: Mother: Louisa, Pound Cottage, Dibden, Hythe, Southampton

Comment

Working...
                                    X