Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Following on from Edward Connor, where are his boys???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Following on from Edward Connor, where are his boys???

Hi all,

I opened a can of worms yesterday and all sorts of skeletons came out the cupboard where they had been hiding for years. My mothers great grandfather re-married after his first wife died and had a daughter out of wedlock, although he did marry the mother of the child eventually. When he died he left everything according to the will I found yesterday to this daughter by his second marriage.

After his first wife died, 4 of the children married very quickly afterwards at very young ages, I think probably to escape the house. My great grandfather was only 18 when he married and we have often wondered why.

The thing is I cannot find any trace of 2 of the children after the 1891 census: this is the family below

Name Age
    Edward Connor 44
    Sarah Connor 42
    Julia Connor 18
    Ada Connor 21
    Edward Connor 14
    Joseph Connor 10
    William Connor 8
    Arthur Connor 5

It is Joseph b 1880( who was born Frederick Joseph) and Arthur b 1886 who I am having problems with. William is lodging and working as a potman/barman. The three eldest all married in 1894.

I found a likely death for Arthur J Connor b 1886 and dying in Islington in 1927, which is where his father died.

Help greatly appreciated in tracing these boys. Can I also say a big thanks to Frazzled who helped me solve Edwards situation.

Just found his birth record by trawling the individual records Arthur James Connor b1885 in the last quarter in St Giles!!
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 01-05-12, 11:54. Reason: simplifying post
    KAREN xx

Reason for putting up Arthur James Connors birth is that he just disappears after 1891, so I was starting to think he wasn't called Arthur!
    KAREN xx

Comment

Did either of the sisters marry a Mr Price? There is an Army pension record on Ancestry for Joseph Frederick Connor who gave his nok as father, Edward Connor and then this was crossed out and replaced by sister, Mrs Price and an address in Walthamstow. Joined up in 1899 aged 19 years 4 months

Last edited by Night Owl; 01-05-12, 12:05.
      Jackie

Comment

OMG Jackie YES!!! his sister Julia married John Price on christmas day 1894! Cannot believe on official documents that he still reversed his first and middles names! Definately a falling out if he crossed out his father and put his sisters name down as NOK!! Thanks so much Jackie. I wonder if his brother followed him later on?
        KAREN xx

Comment

Hi Jackie,

Where is the info about the address of his sister Julia Price and the bit about the NOK? I went onto the link you gave me but couldn't see it on there, am I having a blond moment again or is that info somewhere other than the link you gave me? Just realised it is the discharge papers i can see, where can I search for the draft papers?
          Last edited by Fuzzy; 01-05-12, 12:21.
          KAREN xx

Comment

The link is for the first page - you have to click the right arrow in the bar above the images - there are a few more pages.
            Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie, I have never had one of these army records before. Cannot thank you enough!
              KAREN xx

Comment

You're lucky if you have them - a lot were destroyed in WW2
                Jackie

Comment

Sorry Fuzzy couldn't log on this morning the internet wouldn't let me but I see the stuff I found for Arthur you have so that's ok.

Think I have found where you got the 1883 death for Frederick from. Online there is a McGill/Bloxall family tree and they have Frederick and Joseph as 2 different people. They have Frederick born 1880 St Giles and dying in 1883 in St Giles (whcih by the way I couldn't find a record for yesterday to back this up) and Joseph born 1881 St Giles. Arthur is also listed with his second name James but there are no death dates for Joseph or Arthur. Their mother is listed as Sarah Swinson, is that the same info you have?

Comment

Hi Frazzled!

No worries have been very grateful for all the help you have given me, I doubled checked for Arthur James to make sure that the James was correct and it is. There are quite a few trees on line with the same info, Mine is Karens Roots. Nearly all of them have the wrong woman as wife to the oldest Connor, they have a Catherine Birn and not Catherine Hanafin. the confusion was because they all went with the Connors they found in 1851 and all the children are nearly identical in ages and names as the right family which are on the 1851 as O'Connor! Only reason I managed to head down the right root if that mine direct ancestor is the one child I could confirm on the 1851 with the O'Connors and that was Edward who I found re marrying yesterday. Even the heads of the family had the same name!! So easy to do!! I have contacted a few of them but no one has changed the info!

Feel very lucky to have the war record for Frederick Joseph, reading his physical description brought a lump to my throat, at 5"3 with a chest size of 33-35 he was a mere boy, he even got punished for letting some prisoners escape.

Am still wondering what happened to Arthur? If he was using his middle name it could be a number of people including one in prison LOL
                    KAREN xx

Comment

Great news that Jackie found the army records for Frederick Joseph, as you say it brings them to life, did he fight in WW1 or was his army career over before that? I have one relative who tried to join up but he had so much wrong with him bless him eg flat feet, hammer toes, something wrong with his shoulder, the list went on and on, that he got a desk job in supplies!!

Sadly not having much luck with Arthur James, as you say if he used his middle name there are so many possibilities. Will continue to keep my eyes open.

Comment

Hi frazzled, yes it lovely to find something like that. yes he did fight, there are detailed references to all the campaigns, making them out with the loopy writing is another matter!! Sometimes i think it better that like your relative they couldn't fight, as so many poor souls didn't come back.

thanks so much for all your help
                        KAREN xx

Comment

Have sent you a PM

Comment

PM'd you back!
                            KAREN xx

Comment

Working...
                            X