Minnie Bruce b. circa 1869 in Northamptonshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnie Bruce b. circa 1869 in Northamptonshire

I've recently received contact from a lady in New Zealand who is helping her friend with her family tree... trouble is we can't solve the mystery.

Minnie Bruce was born c. 1869...

In 1871, she is with her grandparents: James & Elizabeth Bruce

In 1881, she is living with her Auntie, Rebecca Sharpe (nee Bruce) in Islington. (Recorded as Minnie B Sharpe)

In 1891, she is a servant living in Islington

In 1899, she married Thomas Leeding

In 1901, she is living in St Pancras

In 1911, she is a widow living with her deceased husband's sister.

Our problem is we can't find a birth for Minnie... There is one in 1867, but she died aged 4 months...

It's possible that her mother is either Sarah Bruce or Martha Redley Bruce but there are trees on ancestry that alternate between the 2...

Can anybody help??? What names could Minnie be associated with?

Wikipedia has "Minnie is a diminutive of Minerva, Wilhelmina, Hermione, Mary or Amelia" if that's any help.

Margaret

Comment

It is possible her birth wasn't registered as there was no penalty until 1875.

However, I have generally found that the unregistered ones were baptised and that might be the way to go.

Have you found the grandparents on the previous census to see what likely daughters they had? Who does she state is her father on her marriage cert?

OC
      Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 30-04-12, 21:36.

Comment

She says James Bruce a labourer - the marriage register entry in on ancestry.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
          Wikipedia has "Minnie is a diminutive of Minerva, Wilhelmina, Hermione, Mary or Amelia" if that's any help.

Margaret
          Fab... thanks.. I'll have a look for Amelia's... Wonder if EMily/Emma are possibles too...

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
          It is possible her birth wasn't registered as there was no penalty until 1875.

However, I have generally found that the unregistered ones were baptised and that might be the way to go.

Have you found the grandparents on the previous census to see what likely daughters they had? Who does she state is her father on her marriage cert?

OC
          Ahhh... Will have to ask some kind soul to help with looking up a baptism.. a bit too far for me to go atm...

The grandparents James Bruce & Elizabeth Redley had

Frances - she died in 1858 aged 15
          Martha Redley - born around 1845 and last seen on the 1871 census in Edgbaston, Birmingham employed as a servant.
          Sarah - born 1847 last seen in 1851
          Robert - 1850 - 1851
          Rosannah - died in 1859 aged 7.
          Rebecca - born in 1854, married a Sharpe and Minnie is with her in 1881.
          Elizabeth - born in 1858
          Mary Charlotte - born in 1858
          George - 1861... died in 1908 in Staffs
          Joseph - 1862 (my great great grandfather)

On her marriage, Minnie's father is given as James Bruce (deceased). Her grandfather, James died in 1895... so she could have adopted him as her own father....

Comment

Could it be Minnie Bruce, born Towcester, Northamptonshire, June Q 1867, 6b 28?

Carol

PS Sorry I missed your remark in your first post about this one dying.
            Last edited by Carol Bird; 30-04-12, 21:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Carol Bird View Post
              Could it be Minnie Bruce, born Towcester, Northamptonshire, June Q 1867, 6b 28?

Carol
              This one died aged 4 months... :(

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                She says James Bruce a labourer - the marriage register entry in on ancestry.

Margaret

Mmmm..... wonder if she means grand dad??
                Margaret

Comment

I'm wondering that if she was brought up by her grandparents and aunty then it might seem only natural that she thought of him as Dad!

Comment

Oh, I've seen plenty of grandads on marriage certs! I often wonder if they knew he wasn't really their father or whether the family had closed ranks and they thought he was! I have an acquaintance who was nearly 60 before he worked out that his "mother" was 59 when he was born and therefore was almost certainly not his mother! He finally got his birth cert and of course he was their illegitimate grandchild, not their child.

(I don't have an Ancestry sub, so cannot see your links, that's why I asked about the father).

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                      Oh, I've seen plenty of grandads on marriage certs! I often wonder if they knew he wasn't really their father or whether the family had closed ranks and they thought he was! I have an acquaintance who was nearly 60 before he worked out that his "mother" was 59 when he was born and therefore was almost certainly not his mother! He finally got his birth cert and of course he was their illegitimate grandchild, not their child.

(I don't have an Ancestry sub, so cannot see your links, that's why I asked about the father).

OC
                      Ahhh, Sorry OC,... didn't realise... I'll get the info together now!!

Comment

Hulcote, Easton Neston

James, head, 54, Ag Lab, Hulcote
                        Elizth, wife, 49, Gt Brington
                        Geo, son, 10, scholar, hulcote
                        Joseph, son, 8, scholar, hulcote
                        Minnie, gr dau, 2, hulcote
                        Thos Jas Smith, gr son, 7wks, northampton

Fairbridge Road, Islington

Charles Sharpe, head, 22, stone mason, cheltenham
                        Rebecca, wife, 26, Easton neston
                        Charles B, son, 2, hampstead
                        Stephen S, son, 7m, islington
                        Minnie B, neice, 12, towcester

Comment

Any idea where the grandson Tho Jas Smith fits in? there is a Minnie Smith born in Towcester in 1868 & one in Peterborough in 1869.

Comment

Found these 2 last night but couldn't get back on the site

SHARP Minnie Potterspury Northamptonshire 1868 Apr-May-Jun
                            SHARP Minie Wellingborough Northamptonshire 1867 Jul-Aug-Sep
                            Last edited by Elaine; 04-05-12, 19:56.
                            Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ellen Proctor View Post
                              Any idea where the grandson Tho Jas Smith fits in? there is a Minnie Smith born in Towcester in 1868 & one in Peterborough in 1869.
                              I'm positive that I have found the connection with Thomas... but I think it may have been on the tree on my computer that died last year... (I mistakenly backed up the wrong tree!!! :( )
                              I'll be going back into the family soon... so I'll take another gander...

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                              Found these 2 last night but couldn't get back on the site

SHARP Minnie Potterspury Northamptonshire 1868 Apr-May-Jun
                              SHARP Minie Wellingborough Northamptonshire 1867 Jul-Aug-Sep
                              I'm fairly certain that Minnie wasn't a Sharp... but it may be worth checking these out too... Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X