Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding Edward Connor after the 1891 census

this is the family on the 1891:

Edwards wife dies shortly after the census in 1892. I cannot find a likely death for Edward before the 1901 census and I cannot find him.

It has been an hilarious afternoon, I spent hours searching for two children to no avail and then found them at an uncles house using their middle names!!!!!!!GGrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Help finding Edward would be greatly appreciated. Oh he sometimes goes under the O'Connor name.
    KAREN xx

Just found him on the 1911 census, re-married!!!!!!!!!!!!with a daughter I knew nothing about!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has to be him, occupation is that of picture frame joiner, and that is the occupation given by one of his children on the wedding certificates, also birthplace St Giles Middlesex is correct!

Now I need to find the marriage to Anne!!
    KAREN xx

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post
      Just found him on the 1911 census, re-married!!!!!!!!!!!!with a daughter I knew nothing about!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has to be him, occupation is that of picture frame joiner, and that is the occupation given by one of his children on the wedding certificates, also birthplace St Giles Middlesex is correct!

Now I need to find the marriage to Anne!!
      Oh they do lead us a merry dance don't they???

Margaret

Comment

Indeed they do Margaret Indeed they do,

I still cannot find him on the 1901. On 1911 is says he has been married for 16 years so must have married Anne around 1895. Just rang my mum to tell her her great grandfather re-married she couldn't believe it as no one had mentioned it in the family.......

This must be the marriage:

Name: Edward Conner
        Spouse Name: Annie Emma Leah Penny
        Record Type: Banns
        Event Date: 9 Jul 1894
        Parish: New Brentford St Lawrence
        Borough: Hounslow
        Register Type: Parish Register

It is just the banns, but says that he is a batchelor!
        Last edited by Fuzzy; 30-04-12, 15:55. Reason: added text
        KAREN xx

Comment

He is in St Pancras in 1901 listed as Edward Connor born 1851 in Holborn a Carpenter and Joiner. He is with Annie and 3 children with the surname Pryde plus Kate Connor born 1896

Comment

Looks like they didn't marry until 1908, there is a marriage between Edward Connor and Annie Pryde in Pancras Q1 1b 118

Comment

Originally posted by Frazzled View Post
              He is in St Pancras in 1901 listed as Edward Connor born 1851 in Holborn a Carpenter and Joiner. He is with Annie and 3 children with the surname Pryde plus Kate Connor born 1896

Hi Frazzled, You just beat me to it LOL, he is indeed and this is the link, occupation says he is a carpenter, which is correct from one of the marriage certificates of his children. On the banns i found though it says he is a batchelor????
              KAREN xx

Comment

Originally posted by Frazzled View Post
                Looks like they didn't marry until 1908, there is a marriage between Edward Connor and Annie Pryde in Pancras Q1 1b 118
                It says on the 1911 that they have been married for 16 years, which is why i thought that the banns I found were right, but as I said it says batchelor! Thanks for that Frazzled perhaps yours is more likely. Why would they lie on the 1911 is it because their daughter Kate was born in 1896???? LOL
                KAREN xx

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post
                  It says on the 1911 that they have been married for 16 years, which is why i thought that the banns I found were right, but as I said it says batchelor! Thanks for that Frazzled perhaps yours is more likely. Why would they lie on the 1911 is it because their daughter Kate was born in 1896???? LOL
                  It's not unknown for people to lie on the 1911 census about the length of time they have been married, especially if one of the children has completed the form for them!

I have one who says married 20years, eldest daughter 17 but no marriage at all!! found the 'husband' on the previous census, single and on his own, can't find the wife anywhere.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                    It's not unknown for people to lie on the 1911 census about the length of time they have been married, especially if one of the children has completed the form for them!

I have one who says married 20years, eldest daughter 17 but no marriage at all!! found the 'husband' on the previous census, single and on his own, can't find the wife anywhere.

Margaret
                    I know what you mean Margaret, one of my lot say married 9 years on the 1911 when in fact it is 6 years, I think that this was to cover up the fact that the child had been born before they married. I think that this is probably the case with Edward too. They certainly don't like to make our lives easy to do they?!
                    KAREN xx

Comment

Had a quick look to see if Annie was free to marry and she was as her husband Edward Alexander Pryde died in 1893 and Kate wasn't born until 1896. Annie married Edward at a very young age she was only 17 and her maiden name was Howard (just to fill in the gaps)

Comment

Thanks so much for that Frazzled, the penny has just dropped that they were living with Prydes on the 1901 so that marriage has to be them. I wonder why they didn't marry until 1908? I am sure they lied on the census to cover up for the fact that Kate was born before they married but I wonder why they waited so long? Here goes that wish for a time machine again!! thanks again
                        KAREN xx

Comment

LOLOLOLOLOL Margaret, just re read about your missing marriage, what are they like??!!!
                          KAREN xx

Comment

I wonder if she waited for all the Pryde children to leave home first? Checked the youngest son Frank ( Francis John Pryde) and it seems he joined the army, he is in barracks in Farnham in Surrey in the 1911 census.

As you say we will never know until we invent the time machine

Comment

That is incredibly sweet of you Frazzled, thanks for that information. yes that sounds very plausible, perhaps they didn't approve of mummy getting remarried. They probably said 16 years married on the 1911 census as that is how long they had been together, that and the fact that Kate was born in 1896. I have just found Edwards will, he left everything to his daughter Kate, I bet the other children from his first marriage including my great grandfather were well chuffed LOL!!
                              KAREN xx

Comment

Oooh bet that put the cat among the pidgeons. Maybe it was Edward's family that didn't approve of their new step mother. I see that in the 1901 census none of Edward's first family are with him and the youngest Arthur would only have been 15 yet Annie's children are with them.

My G Grandfather remarried after my G Grandmother died and I know that the the youngest daughter didn't like her step mother at all and emigrated to Australia where one of her brothers had gone as soon as she could.

Comment

Indeed Frazzled, I bet they were not at all impressed with that! It wasn't a large sum of money £75 but in those days that wasn't a small sum either! Great minds, I have been looking for Arthur all afternoon, I found a death record for who I believe to be him in the same area as his dad died, in 1927. So where is he in 1901 and 1911?? Three of the children all marry in 1894, escaping like the young girl in your tree, except Australia wasn't an option!?? one married in 1907 and is in lodging on the 1901 but I cannot find a trace of either Joseph b1881 or Arthur b1885. Maybe a thread for another day !!
                                  KAREN xx

Comment

Did you notice Joseph is called Frederick in 1881, have looked him up and he was registered as Frederick Joseph in 1880 so have you looked for him as Frederick?

Comment

Keep losing internet connection!! Very annoying!! I have looked at my FTM program and I have frederick Connor dying in 1883 st Giles middlesex, cannot find in the death records now, so where did I find it?!! Looked at all quarters of 1883 and it not there! Where on earth did I get that info from?!! Think I will start afresh tomorrow when head has cleared a bit!

Just looked in my old notes and got info when I first started out from a many times cousin removed on genes doing the same tree.!!

This is one of reasons I have started again with my tree, checking and re checking info!! Joseph is obviously Frederick Joseph b1880 St Giles. I wonder where she got the info from that Frederick had died in 1883 in St Giles, it is so specific! Oh well will look into it all again tomorrow. On her tree on Ancestry she has the wrong great grandmother for this family, I have tried to tell her but she will not have it, I have the birth and marriage certs to back up the info, and she has gone on nothing more than a hunch LOL!!
                                      Last edited by Fuzzy; 30-04-12, 20:53.
                                      KAREN xx

Comment

Can't see a death for Frederick in 1883 but as there is a Joseph with the family in 1891 I think it must be the same person using their second name.

Comment

Working...
                                        X