I can't find the marriage of Elizabeth Parsons and William Milsom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't find the marriage of Elizabeth Parsons and William Milsom

I got the birth certificate of my great grandfather Edward Thomas Milsom b. 1871. He was actually named Thomas on the certificate, but I am pretty certain it is him as I have the family on the census of 1871 living at Boot Lane, Bedminster, Somersetshire - this address is on the certificate. On this census he is Edwd Thos, b. 1871, family are under Melsom:
    Father: Melsom, William b. 1811 Glos
    Mother: Melsom, Elizabeth b, 1833 Glos (Old Sodbury)
    Son: William b. 1861
    Son: Charles b. 1868

I am struggling to find the marriage of William Milsom /Melsom and Elizabeth who was formerly Parsons according to the birth certificate of Edward.
    What is also odd is that I found what I think is William Junior's baptism on Family Search, - it was entered twice, once with mother listed as Sarah, and once with mother listed as Elizabeth. I wonder if Sarah was William's first wife as he was a lot older than Elizabeth? Perhaps she died when he was born in 1861?
    Details of William's baptism:
    3 Feb 1864 Two Mile Hill, St Michael, Glos, 4212521
    Can anyone see anything I have missed? Thanks.

are you sure about the parsons bit ??? there is a marriage between a William Milsom and a Elizabeth Dark in Sep 1857 Keynsham Somerset

Comment

Hi,
      Thanks - I did go down that route, but discovered that was the wrong family. William Milsom and Elizabeth Dark were both born in 1830s and their son Thomas was still living with them in 1891, whereas my William was born in 1811, Elizabeth in 1833 and Edwd Thos had already married Sarah Ann Fowler by 1888.
      Edward's birth certificate says :
      Elizabeth Milsom, formerly Parsons

Comment

Is this the family in 1881?

William & a Mary Ann? on the previous page.
        Moggie

Comment

Isn't he Edwin Milsom though Moggie? Birth reg March 1870 Bedminster?
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Sorry - I don't have access to Ancestry, only got a subscription to Find My Past. I couldn't find them in the 1881 census at all. I do know that by the time Edward and Sarah got married in 1888, William was already deceased. Not sure who Mary Ann would be?
            Thank you for your help.

Comment

Yes he is Edwin & not Edward but Charles is about the right age.
              Moggie

Comment

Could be them possibly. So, perhaps Elizabeth died, William married again to a Mary Ann? Thomas became Edward Thomas, then Edwin, then Edward Thomas again by 1888! Gosh, it's getting even more confusing. I'm still none the wiser about who Elizabeth was though. I do know William senior was a collier.

Comment

Oh, the other bit I have is that Elizabeth says she was born in Old Sodbury on the 1871 census.

Comment

in that 1871 census William is a Labourer does not mention Collier so are you positive its them ?

Comment

Ancestry 1871 gives Elizabeth's birth year as 1838, Old Sodbury.
                      In 1851 there is an Elizabeth Parsons born c1838 Sodbury working as a servant in Henbury Gloucestershire. Still looking for her as Parsons in 1861.
                      Moggie

Comment

What is also odd is that I found what I think is William Junior's baptism on Family Search, - it was entered twice, once with mother listed as Sarah, and once with mother listed as Elizabeth. I wonder if Sarah was William's first wife as he was a lot older than Elizabeth? Perhaps she died when he was born in 1861?

Just had a look at this on familysearch & noticed that there are 2 different images numbers for these baptisms 00035 & 00036.
                        Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                          in that 1871 census William is a Labourer does not mention Collier so are you positive its them ?
                          William was listed as a general labourer on Edward's birth certificate, but as a coalminer on Edward's marriage certificate. The addresses tie up - Boot Lane is shown as where Edward was born on the birth cert and the 1871 census matches.

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post

Just had a look at this on familysearch & noticed that there are 2 different images numbers for these baptisms 00035 & 00036.
                            Moggie
                            Oh yes - so do you think could there have been two William Milsoms baptised on the same date, same place but with two different sets of parents, but fathers both called William?

Comment

Oh yes - so do you think could there have been two William Milsoms baptised on the same date, same place but with two different sets of parents, but fathers both called William?
                              Would the two different films represent the parish register and the BTs? If so it's quite possible there is a mistake in one or the other (probably the BT).

scuda
                              Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

After much digging, I think William was initially married to Sarah Lynes m. 1848. She had a son Samuel, but no father was listed for him. William and Sarah had a child - Fred. They were living together in 1861, next door to Samuel and his wife, but by 1871 William was with Elizabeth and their new family. Sarah was living on her own with Fred in 1871, and later, in 1881, on her own completely, but it says she was "married". I cannot find William or Elizabeth on the 1881 census, although there is a William Millson in the Barton Regis workhouse (married, b 1815, haulier). I don't think William and Elizabeth were married -can't find a record anywhere.

Comment

Here is another twist in the tale! I have found who I think is William and Elizabeth on the 1861 census in Birmingham:
                                  RG09 Peice 2153 Folio 82:
                                  28 John Street Birmingham, Warwickshire
                                  MILSHAM, William, Head, Married, M 30, b 1831, Labourer, born Bristol
                                  MILSHAM, Elizth, Married, F 19, b 1842, Born Old Sudbury, Glouc
                                  MILSHAM, William, Son, M 0 (6M) b 1861, Born Birmingham

Dates of birth are quite way out, (William's ties up with 1871 census, Williams is 20 years out and Elizabeth's is 10 years out), but everything else ties in - do you think this can be correct? I guess they may have lied about their ages and name if they have eloped together?

Comment

Originally posted by SammiH View Post
                                    Here is another twist in the tale! I have found who I think is William and Elizabeth on the 1861 census in Birmingham:
                                    RG09 Peice 2153 Folio 82:
                                    28 John Street Birmingham, Warwickshire
                                    MILSHAM, William, Head, Married, M 30, b 1831, Labourer, born Bristol
                                    MILSHAM, Elizth, Married, F 19, b 1842, Born Old Sudbury, Glouc
                                    MILSHAM, William, Son, M 0 (6M) b 1861, Born Birmingham

Dates of birth are quite way out, (William's ties up with 1871 census, Williams is 20 years out and Elizabeth's is 10 years out), but everything else ties in - do you think this can be correct? I guess they may have lied about their ages and name if they have eloped together?
                                    I still haven't been able to get any further with this - if anyone would be able to cast their fresh eyes over this I would be very grateful! I haven't been able to find William b.1861 on FreeBMD, otherwise I would have purchased a birth certificate to see what details we have of Elizabeth. Still haven't established whether William b. 1811 and Elizabeth (formerly know as Parsons) were married, or if this is the same William married to Sarah Lynes.
                                    Really stumped!

Comment

Working...
                                    X