Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have access to Australian Census/Electoral Rolls around ww1 please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have access to Australian Census/Electoral Rolls around ww1 please?

I have acquired some of my Grandad's belongings. Apparently, as a young man he was an apprentice baker to my Great Grandfather. Family tales say they had a fall out and he ran away to Australia. I have his military records. He joined the Australian Imperial force on 20 March, 1915.Private Albert Taylor 21st battalion service no. 523 enlisted in Kerang.On his records he is listed being an apprentice for Mr. J w & K king, Cohuna, and had been for 1 1/2 years. I would like to find out a little more of these people and what trade he was an apprentice to them? I also can't find any immigration or travel records for him. Sad thing is, he was a pow and suffered with ill health when he returned home.. but he never told anyone about his experiences. My Dad, didn't even know his dad's fate and is unfortunately no longer with us. Any help appreciated, thanks very much

See if you access this and you can click on 'view digitised record"

I'll check the rolls.

Comment

The only J King I can find in Cohuna at that time is a storekeeper. His second name is Mackenzie though not "W".

Comment

Any idea of his birth year & where he was born?

Comment

If he wasn't yet 21 yo he wouldn't have been on an electoral roll - in those days 21 was the minimum voting age and

a lot of people were lax in getting their names on electoral rolls. I am not sure of this but it is possible that he may

have come out to Australia as a member of a ships crew - cabin boy etc - and there would be no record of his name

kept.
          Last edited by grumpy; 29-04-12, 22:30.
          Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Hi Everyone, thanks for your help. Libby, I can't access the link, but thanks for the other info. Ellen he was born 23.9.1894 in Nottingham. David, thanks for your info too, thats probably why I can't find him on any travel documents, regards jane

Comment

Working...
            X