Mary Ann Asquith holt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Ann Asquith holt

im try to find the birth of a mary ann asquith holt she was born 1842 Drumond st london
    she married henry leggett in 1862 St geo han sq
    and she had 5 children
    henry 1865
    frederick1868
    sydney 1873
    bertram 1876
    frank

but i cant find her birth and seems to love the asquith part of her name as it been used on censes and bertram birth and is used as her middle name

can any one tell me where i can look for her as im now hiting brick walls

If you can't find her birth, how do you know she was born in Drumond Street, London, please?

STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

It could be they left the Asquith bit off her birth reg ? I cannot find one

Comment

I can't find her birth registration (she may not have been registered) but the baptism is on Ancestry

Baptised 25th December 1850 at All Saints St Pancras, born ??(can't read the month) 23rd 1841, Christian names Mary Ann Asquith, daughter of John and Priscilla Holt of 14 Upper Tottenham Place, father's occupation carpenter.

Perhaps someone with Ancestry can check my transcription please because its not that clear
        Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
          If you can't find her birth, how do you know she was born in Drumond Street, London, please?

STG
          its listed on 1881 census

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
            I can't find her birth registration (she may not have been registered) but the baptism is on Ancestry

Baptised 25th December 1850 at All Saints St Pancras, born ??(can't read the month) 23rd 1841, Christian names Mary Ann Asquith, daughter of John and Priscilla Holt of 14 Upper Tottenham Place, father's occupation carpenter.

Perhaps someone with Ancestry can check my transcription please because its not that clear
            oh my god thank you i was starting to think she would have no father name a that her mother was a house maid i would love to know why asquith i need a time machine now

Comment

clever you jackie ,quite often children were given their mothers maiden name when they were born? maybe Priscilla was a Asquith ?

Comment

I've just found Priscilla on the 1881 census living 4 door down the road to mary

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post

I think it's October 23 1841 and all the rest looks as you have transcribed.

Margaret

Comment

I have tried to find Mary A A with her parents in 1841, 51 and 61 but nothing is coming up that matches. Can't find for sure the Priscilla from 1881 in any earlier censuses.

I've seen a baptism for John Holt 1802 with parents John Holt and Priscilla but those won't be the same two as baptised Mary A A.

Margaret

Comment

1851 they were in Fisher Street, St George the Martyr Queen Square, Finsbury borough (Holborn registration district) Priscilla aged 50 had remarried to John STubbs and Mary A Holt aged 9 was described as daughter in law (old term for step daughter. HO107 piece 1513 folio 227 page 26 There was also a 23 year old Julia Holt and a 12 year old Priscilla Holt.
                      Last edited by JudithM; 29-04-12, 12:54. Reason: extra detail
                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Hmm, I see daughter Julia (married name Bravington?) was with Priscilla in 1881 where she has reverted to Holt surname. Perhaps she never really married John Stubbs.
                        Last edited by JudithM; 29-04-12, 13:02.

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                          1851 they were in Fisher Street, St George the Martyr Queen Square, Finsbury borough (Holborn registration district) Priscilla aged 50 had remarried to John STubbs and Mary A Holt aged 9 was described as daughter in law (old term for step daughter. HO107 piece 1513 folio 227 page 26 There was also a 23 year old Julia Holt and a 12 year old Priscilla Holt.

That's interesting thanks Judith - Mary Ann was only baptised in 1850 with John Holt and Priscilla to hand!! so Priscilla didn't waste much time!! LOL

Here's the baptism for Julia Ann b10 Dec 1827 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...rc=&pid=638106

Margaret

Comment

Mary's sister Priscilla married William COcks Sheppard in St Pancras in 1857 by which time John Holt was apparently dead http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=5847055

Comment

Here's the baptism for John Howard Holt b3 Feb 1830 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...rc=&pid=671459

Margaret

Comment

Here's a marriage for John Holt to Priscilla Hedger https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NVL6-L8H St Leonards Shoreditch 25 September 1826

So no Asquith there!!

Margaret

Comment

thank you all very much
                                  i to have found the marrage of john holt and priscilla hedger which i think is right as mary ann asquith son was named bertram francis hedger leggett
                                  i also found the julia ann and john howards bap
                                  i didnt find out the name of john holt shepherd mother but thank to you it priscilla
                                  i got a feeling that priscilla mother may have been a asquith ill look in to that
                                  ill let you know what else i find out

Comment

have a look at this and tell me what you think
                                    1st i found a bap for a
                                    Priscilla charlotte Hedger on 21 feb 1816 at st leonards
                                    father richard
                                    mother ann

2nd i found a
                                    Eric Christian william hedger on 26 sep 1906 at st andrew Enfield
                                    father Chrstian bond Hedger
                                    mother annie priscilla julia hedger
                                    i know it its a 100 years out but the mother has all the right name lol and mary ann asquith ended up in wood green in 1901 small world

Comment

Originally posted by jayjaymay View Post
                                      have a look at this and tell me what you think
                                      1st i found a bap for a
                                      Priscilla charlotte Hedger on 21 feb 1816 at st leonards
                                      father richard
                                      mother ann

2nd i found a
                                      Eric Christian william hedger on 26 sep 1906 at st andrew Enfield
                                      father Chrstian bond Hedger
                                      mother annie priscilla julia hedger
                                      i know it its a 100 years out but the mother has all the right name lol and mary ann asquith ended up in wood green in 1901 small world
                                      Your bap for Priscilla Charlotte is 15 years out so I would look for something nearer 1800 - I am thinking a set of Hedger brothers living near each other and naming their children with the same family names!!

As regards your 1906 birth that is surely a relative so have a look on the 1911 to see who the parents are.

Margaret

Comment

Christian Bond Hedger was born Dec 1872 - Gravesend - 2a 401. He married Anne Priscilla J Messenger in March 1901 - Portsmouth 2b 910. In 1911 they are both listed as 39 years old but I think Anne was telling porkies and knocked about 8 years off, as she appears to have been born Ann Priscilla Julia Messenger in March 1864 - Islington 1b 227. By 1911, as well as Eric they had Miriam C Hedger born 1902 - Fulham 1a 232a.

This is Eric with his family in 1911 -

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=2352&iid=rg14_07440_050 3_03&fn=Eric&ln=Hedger&st=r&ssrc=&pid=40522334
                                        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                        X