Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptism record mystery

Hi all,

I would be very grateful if anyone has any ideas re this baptism, it is the one at the top right of the page and relates to this:

Name: Albert Edward Boxall
    Record Type: Baptism
    Estimated Birth Date: abt 1903
    Baptism Date: 22 Mar 1903
    Father's Name: Albert Edward Boxall
    Mother's Name: Mary Elizabeth Boxall
    Parish or Poor Law Union: Battersea St Andrew
    Borough: Wandsworth
    Register Type: Parish Registers

All this relates to my grandfather who I never knew, I know he died just before I was born in the Dec of 1961 and I have his marriage certificate which shows him at 21 in the feb of 1925 this would put his birth year at 1903, which matches with the death record I found for him. My mum remembers that he was born in the summer time. I sent off for a birth certificate which shows him being born on the 29th of July 1903, the address is 13 William street and parents are Albert Edward Boxall and Mary Elizabeth Reed. I was happy with all this until I found the above baptism record! It made me doubt i had the right certificate. So I sent off for his sisters birth certificate and it shows the same parents as Albert. I know it to be his sister as she was a witness at his wedding and the address on the the marriage certificate is also the same address as the family were living at on the 1911 census.

ps the birth certificate I have is for a Albert Boxall not Albert Edward Boxall. Mind you this isn't a big issue as his bride called herself Florence Lilian on her marriage cert and she is actually called clara florence Alberta, this lot tended to call themselves what they liked!
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 28-04-12, 12:07. Reason: added the ps
    KAREN xx

is it possibe they had another Albert who died so they gave him the same name ? as it seems to say he was born in 1901 ?

Comment

I had actually thought of that val, they did have one in 1898 who died. i cannot find a birth record for one in 1901.
      KAREN xx

Comment

It does say alleged date of birth 25 IX 1901 in that first column.

Perhaps he was ill and they had him baptised in March 1903. The mum must have already been expecting the next child - presumably your grandfather.

Anne

Comment

It is really odd I cannot find a birth record in wandsworth for Albert Edward Boxall anywhere between when the one I know about who died and was born in 1898 and mine in 1903.

this is the baptism for the one who was born in 1898: He was baptised in 1899:

so I can rule it out as his baptism
          Last edited by Fuzzy; 28-04-12, 12:33. Reason: added text
          KAREN xx

Comment

I'm wondering if it could be Walter, and they made a mistake with the name and put the father's name in instead. Walter was born at the right time (registered in Jun quarter 1901) and I can't see a baptism for him.
            Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Hi Linda,

I don't think so as the fathers name was Albert as well. This is a mystery that may well remain unsolved. Perhaps the vicar had too many vinos and wrote all the wrong dates on the page LOL!!

Thanks everyone for helping I really appreciate it
              KAREN xx

Comment

I mean that instead of writing the babys name as Walter, he wrote the fathers name there. Do you have Walters birth certificate? If the dob was 25 IV 1901 (which is what I think it could be) then it might match up.
                Linda

Comment

Hi Linda,

I think I am being really thick here, I dont understand what you mean re the fathers name. Albert Boxall's father was also called Albert Boxall, am confused as to where the Walter would have come from. Sorry to not understand, bet you getting very frustrated with me!
                  KAREN xx

Comment

maybe they never registerd that birth?

Comment

I am reading Linda to mean that the 1903 record of the baptism of Albert son of Albert may actually have been Walter's baptism but the minister wrote the father's names for the child in error.
                      Last edited by JudithM; 28-04-12, 13:07.
                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

That's it Judith - looking on the 1911 census for this family, there is a Walter aged 10, whose birth would seem to fit the dates.
                        Linda

Comment

Slaps her forehead as realises what you meant! Only trouble with that is that the address of the baptism, william street is what I have on the birth certificate of my Albert Boxall
                          KAREN xx

Comment

OMG!! just looked at the family you are referring to girls and they are mine!! Sorry to be so dense!! It must have been his brother Walters baptism!! which is why the address matches! Am so pleased that little mystery has been cleared up! This is why I love this site, it hadn't even occured to me that it was his brothers baptism and until I looked at my records I had forgotten he had a brother called Walter!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                            KAREN xx

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post
                              Slaps her forehead as realises what you meant! Only trouble with that is that the address of the baptism, william street is what I have on the birth certificate of my Albert Boxall
                              Don't see the problem - Walter was ALbert's brother so quite likely to have been born at same address.
                              Update -Sorry didn't notice you had posted again while I was looking at the 1911 census.
                              Last edited by JudithM; 28-04-12, 13:34.
                              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Hi Judith,

Please see post of mine above yours, we kinda cross posted!
                                KAREN xx

Comment

Linda

Comment

Working...
                                  X