Seeking Newbury Berkshire Index

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Newbury Berkshire Index

Does anyone know if there's a Newbury parish church (St Nicholas, I think) index?

It's not on familysearch nor ancestry. If anyone has access, I could PM details.
    Thanks
    Sarah

FMP have some marriages and burials but I don't know how extensive the coverage is.
    Berkshire FHS have transcribed loads of local parishes onto CD but not Newbury as yet.
    Have you looked at the Berkshire page to see if there's anyone offering to go to to the archives for lookups?
    Sue

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I've looked once at a Bishop's Transcript for Newbury. Really painful! If I hadn't known the date and the name of the person I was looking for, I wouldn't have succeeded. It would be an act of love to search it without an index I think I'll wait till there is one.

Comment

Hi
        If you need any burial look ups the following churches etc are covered in the NBI
        Newbury Baptist 1773-1823
        ditto Lower Meeting House 1784-1837
        ditto Newtown Road cemetery 1868-2006
        ditto Northcroft Lane Baptist 1818-1837
        ditto Shaw cemetery 1948-1951
        ditto St John The Evangelist 1860-1900
        ditto St Nicholas 1746-1890
        ditto Upper Meeting House 1783-1836

Moggie

Comment

Thanks, Moggie - had a look at the NBI when I was at the library yesterday. Think I found the burials for my direct ancestors . They have somewhat distinct names.

Did you know that there was a census for Newbury in 1815? My direct ancestors were dead by then, but I suspect side branches were still there

Comment

I see that the SoG has an indexed transcript of christenings at St Nicholas, Newbury, but only covering the years 1634 - 1746.

I think this may be too early for you but, if it would be of any assistance, and nothing has helped you in the meantime, I could have a look as I shall be going up there within the next 3/4 weeks.

If you wish, let me know the names you are seeking.

Carol

Comment

Yes, that's 24 years before the birth that I know of, but I'll send the parents' names. Do they list their pending projects?

Thanks
              sarah

Comment

Hi Sarah

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                Do they list their pending projects?
                I don't think they do their own transcriptions - just have copies lodged in the Library of various done at earlier times. You can look at their catalogue online to check what they have on Newbury - more in the way of MIs and burials.

Carol

Comment

Working...
                X