Help needed to find record of 2 deaths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed to find record of 2 deaths

Hi all. I have been trying for some time to find death records for 2 relatives/ancestors without success.
    Their names are Mary Largey and her younger son John Largey.Surname may be recorded as Largy. Mary's maiden name was Magee(may be recorded as McGee).
    They both appear on the 1901 census.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/St__Anne_s_Ward/Reavys_Court/959946/

Neither appear on the 1911 census.
    Mary's other child recorded on the 1901 census, Edward,is living with his maternal grandmother in the 1911 census.
    Mary's mother Annie states that she has only 3 children still living and these are obviously the 3 grown up children still living with her

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Belfast_East/Frederick_Street/143329/

Mary's husband, James Largey, is recorded on the 1911 census as a widower(of Mary) and father of 2 children, 1 still living(Edward) and 1 has died(John)

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Court_Ward/Fortingale_Street/148596/

I have been trying to find death records for Mary and John for some considerable time. I even travelled to Dublin and trawled through 10 years of BMD registers(1901-1911) without success.

Can anyone help?

Incidentally, for those interested in WW1 history, Edward Largey, my Grandfather,from inauspicious beginings, went on to serve his country with distinction, winning the DSM for valour and being mentioned in dispatches in the London Gazette. He took part in the now legendary raids on Zeebrugger and Ostend in 1918.

Paul.

Have you checked if they moved to England, Wales or Scotland and whether their deaths might be recorded there?

Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret, to be honest, I haven't. I thought it unlikely she would split the family. However I will now start searching the BMDs for England and Wales.

Paul.

Comment

Hi Paul

I have no idea if this is in the right area or not, or even if you have seen it

and this but the yob is out

Last edited by Darksecretz; 27-04-12, 22:57.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Darksecretz. Unfortunately when I click on the link I get the message
          Access information about mary lar** and get millions of other names and historical records with this membership:

Not to worry. Thanks anyway.
          Paul.

Comment

apologies Paul.. gimme a mo
            Julie

Comment

Ireland, Civil Registration Deaths Index, 1864-1958
              Name: Mary Largey
              Estimated Birth Year: abt 1876
              Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1902
              Death Age: 26
              Registration district: Armagh
              Death Country: Ireland
              Volume: 1
              Page: 44
              FHL Film Number:101601

Ireland, Civil Registration Deaths Index, 1864-1958
              Name: John Largey
              Estimated Birth Year: abt 1906
              Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1907
              Death Age: 1
              Registration district: Armagh
              Death Country: Ireland
              Volume: 1
              Page: 28
              FHL Film Number: 0101603
              Julie

Comment

Hi Darksecretz, thank you for posting the details. I appreciate it. I saw these 2 entries recorded in the Deaths Index when I was trawling through 10 years of Indexes(or is it Indicies) 1901 - 1911 as mentioned earlier. I disregarded them at the time because the location, Armagh, and the ages did not tie in with the information that I have. My gut feeling is that they are not the people I am looking for ( my great grandmother and great uncle) but I will not know for certain unless I order death certs for them. I will do this when I am next in Dublin.

Thanks again.

Paul.

Comment

I know what you are saying Paul, I have no idea of whether Armagh is next to (or near) the place where you expect them to be.. did you check the UK BMDs at all as Margaret suggested?

do you know where in England Mary was born at all?
                  Julie

Comment

Hi Darksecretz, I did check the UK BMDs. Again, I found deaths for both names in the North-East of England, but again the ages at time of death and years of death did not correspond.
                    Mary Largey, born Mary Magee(possible recorded as McGee) was born in Liverpool to James Magee and Annie Magee(nee McCausland) between 1869 and 1873. I have seen both years used.

Paul.

Comment

If John was Mary's son and he was born in 1906 and died in 1907, then that Mary couldn't be his mother as she died in 1902 Julie

Is this not them then in 1881 Paul? It's the only Mary saying born Liverpool that I could find with parents James and Annie. Only in this one Mary is only 8 months old, so couldn't have been born 1869 or 1873. Did you find them in any census in England?
                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hi Chrissie, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, when I click on the Ancestry link, all I get is an invitation to take out membership. Mary Magee was definately born in Vandries Street in Liverpool in 1869, see link to the church register entry below. I don't have access to the censuses for England and I don't know what year they moved back to Belfast. I would have thought the England census they are most likely to have appeared on is 1871.
                        Paul.

Comment

City Hall - This won't help your search for the 2 deaths much but there is a baptism for another child of James & Annie Magee on Ancestry, details as follows (Latin names in brackets):
                          James (Jacobus) McGee born 14 March 1864 & baptised 27 March 1864 at Our Lady of Reconciliation de la Salette, Liverpool. Parents James (Jacobus) & Ann (Annae) McGee (nee McCostill). Godparents Michael McGee & Euphemia Robinson.
                          I know the mother's maiden name is slightly different but I think this is the same family & that Euphemia Robinson went on to marry Michael & became Euphemia McGee, godmother to Mary on the baptism record you already have. There are certainly quite a few baptisms on the Ancestry Liverpool Catholic records with parents shown as Michael McGee & Euphemia Robinson. Only had a quick look but couldn't find any other baptisms for children of James & Annie.
                          Ancestry ref is here if anyone else wants to take a look:

You may already have this info, but I thought I'd mention it just in case you haven't already seen it.

Comment

Thanks Arilla, I appreciate your reply. Unfortunately, my request for help seems to be going backwards instead of forwards. Plenty of info on Mary Largey's(nee Magee) birth but absolutely no info on her death between the years of 1901 and 1911.
                            Thanks again Arilla.
                            Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by City Hall View Post
                              Thanks Arilla, I appreciate your reply. Unfortunately, my request for help seems to be going backwards instead of forwards. Plenty of info on Mary Largey's(nee Magee) birth but absolutely no info on her death between the years of 1901 and 1911.
                              Thanks again Arilla.
                              Paul.
                              Have you tried the Belfast cemeteries? the city council has an online database which I have found quite useful. I have also used the belfastforum which has a genealogy section and they are very helpful on there with local knowledge etc. One of their members actually went to Dundonald cemetery for me to see if the was a headstone for my relatives grave.

Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret, good to hear from you again. You are right in saying that Belfast City Council has an on-line burial search facility. Unfortunately it only covers cemeteries which they are responsible for. If Mary Largey and her son John are buried in Belfast, they will be interred in Milltown Cemetery, which is owned and maintained by the Catholic church and their records are not available on-line. I have already posted a request for help on the Belfast Forum without success.
                                The search goes on.
                                Regards.
                                Paul.

Comment

Oh sorry about that but keep hanging in there and maybe someone will pop up to help.

Margaret

Comment

Hi to all who contributed to this topic, I thought I would give you an update. I stumbled upon this record which I think looks promising.
                                    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

There is no such surname as M'Largey. The age doesn't correspond but that's not unusual and the year of death certainly falls within the required time frame. I have also found a record which I think might be Mary's son John Largey. It is recorded as John De Largey. In this case the location, age and time frame all tie in.
                                    I have a question. Are the references used on the Familysearch site; like page no,file no etc unique to their site or are these the same references you quote when ordering a certificate from the GRO?

Paul

Comment

M' is a variant of Mc or Mac.
                                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                      X