Wigan Record Office or Library please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Office: Wigan Record Office or Library please

I would very much like to find the parents of Alice BENTLEY [born abt 1781/1782, the wife of Edward PARKER, whom she married in Wigan 19 Oct 1812.
    They moved to Scotland after their marriage, where their daughter Elizabeth was born in 1814 and then to Ormskirk before 1817 [town where Edward Parker came from].

It seems likely [though not sure] that Alice, like Edward Parker, was married to someone else before 1812.
    Are there maybe any clues in any Wigan records regarding whom she may have been married to before she married Edward Parker?
    So I'm looking for an Alice BENTLEY in Wigan before 19 Oct 1812.

Cheers,
    Andre
    Last edited by anglofrisian; 27-04-12, 08:46.

This caught my eye as I occasionally visit Wigan Family History Centre.
    Firstly I assume you have the marriage from LOPC which shows them both of Wigan and Illiterate.
    Secondly if your assumption is correct and she has been married before the BENTLEY would be her previous married name and not her Maiden name.
    Please let me have your thoughts on these points if you would like me to look next time I am in Wigan

Comment

Yes, it is only because of her age in 1812 that I suspect that she may have been married previously to someone with surname Bentley.
      She died on 14th May 1840 in Ormskirk aged 58 years, so that would make her about 30 years on 19th Oct 1812, the day she married Edward Parker in Wigan.
      Of course she may have married to this Bentley elsewhere and have come to Wigan prior to 1812.
      As there don't seem to be any Bentley children with her in Ormskirk after 1812, it could also be that she just married for the first time around the age of 30, I can't be sure.
      Her origins are still a total mystery in my tree and I'm also wondering why they went to Scotland for a couple of years before turning up in Ormskirk before 1819. Could it be that her origins were in Scotland?

Comment

Hi,
        Obviously I cannot trawl ALL Wigan records. But I will look up the marriage in the Parish Records to see if it gives any further info.
        How do you know she had no children with her between 1812 and 1840??
        Do not know how long it will be as I only go infrequently.

Comment

That would be great thanks.
          It could mention whether she was a widow or a spinster.
          I did find her children with her by Edward Parker, but none with surname Bentley turn up in the census returns of Ormskirk nor did I find any burials of any such children.

Comment

Hi
            Now you have me intrigued. If she was dead by 1841-the date census's started how did you find any children with her???
            Holcan

Comment

I meant, children born by her (sorry for the confusion, I'm not a native speaker), that I found in the census returns. Of course there is a small chance there were children of her in Ormskirk with surname Bentley also but I couldn't find any marriages of such children nor any clues in the census returns.

This is her page in my tree with the Parker children:

Al the copied information in between is me speculating whom she may or may not have been married to before.
              Last edited by anglofrisian; 04-08-12, 10:44.

Comment

Hi,
                Thanks for that. I did wonder if I had missed something in translation, I had noticed you were from Netherlands.
                Will speak again after I have been to Wigan

Comment

Are these the children of the marriage:

Baptism: 22 Jun 1817 St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, Lancashire, England
                  Ellen Parker - Daughter of Edward Parker & Alice
                  Born: 7 Jun 1817
                  Abode: Ormskirk
                  Baptised by: J. Williamson Curate
                  Register: Baptisms 1813 - 1820, Page 173, Entry 1377
                  Source: LDS Film 1849664

Baptism: 24 Oct 1819 St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, Lancashire, England
                  Robert Parker - Son of Edward Parker & Alice
                  Born: 27 Sep 1819
                  Baptised by: J. Holdsworth
                  Register: Baptisms 1813 - 1820, Page 262, Entry 2096

Baptism: 24 Oct 1819 St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, Lancashire, England
                  Elizabeth Parker - Daughter of Edward Parker & Alice
                  Born: 4 Mar 1814
                  Baptised by: J. Holdsworth
                  Register: Baptisms 1813 - 1820, Page 262, Entry 2095

Baptism: 9 Nov 1823 St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, Lancashire, England
                  James Parker - Son of Edward Parker & Alice
                  Born: 21 Aug 1823
                  Baptised by: George Bower
                  Register: Baptisms 1820 - 1833, Page 108, Entry 708
                  Source: LDS Film No. 1849664

I work in Ormskirk you see and if i get a spare 2 hours I"ll look around the graveyard and see if there is a grave stone for you

Comment

That's very kind of you, yes those 4 are their children.

Ellen died in Ormskirk as Ellen LATHAM/LATHOM in 1861, wife of George LATHAM/LATHOM [died elsewhere much later].
                    Robert Parker died in Ormskirk as a child in 1828.
                    James is buried in Southport.
                    Elizabeth died as Elizabeth PLATT in West Derby in 1875.

There may also have been children by their mother Alice with surname BENTLEY born 1800-1810 if she was widow when she married in Wigan in 1812.

Comment

I am looking for my family tree ancestors hurst from dean village Bolton and blackrod....Ashton in makerfield old road. Please can any one help

Comment

Marie have you tried posting on the research board if you need help searching you ancestors as this is only for people going to record offices

Edna

Comment

Working...
                        X