X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waltons of Reading Berkshire

Hi,
    I'm interested in a family in St Giles Parish, Reading, Berkshire:
    William WALTON, wife Philadelphia (trees on ancestry say she was born BLACKMAN)
    Daughter Philadelphia (baptized 1784, familysearch)
    Daughter Sophia (baptized 1786, familysearch)
    Son William - also from an Ancestry tree.

I believe Philadelphia Walton died St Leo Shoreditch 1830.

Does anyone see any other records for Philadelphia or any of her sibs? I've checked fs & ancestry.

Thanks
    Sarah
    PS - many of those trees on ancestry believe PW married Edward Coverly. Haven't found a record for that, and she is buried as Philadelphia Walton.

This is the burial you were mentioning:

URN:15052
    Entry No:653
    First name:Philadelphia
    Last name:WALTON
    Abode:Leonard Street
    Date of burial:2 Feb 1830
    Year:1830
    Age at death:45
    Age in years:45
    Calculated year of birth:1785
    Place of burial:St Leonard's Shoreditch
    County of burial:Middlesex
    Notes:
    Record source:St Leonard Shoreditch Burials

If a Philadelphia Walton married Edward Cleverly, this is very unlikely to be her as she would have been buried in her married name.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

These are all the records I can see in the St Giles registers:

Marriage 10 Sep 1778 William Walton b. Philadelphia Blackman sp both otp 10 Sep 1778. Wits: Henry Paice, Joseph Baylis

Baptism Philadelphia d. William and Philadelphia Walton 1 Jun 1784
      Baptism Sophia d. William and Philadelphia Walton 7 Jun 1786
      Baptism William s. William and Philadelphia Walton 25 Apr 1795

Burial Philidepha Walton 9 Jan 1811
      Burial William Walton Southampton Street 15 Aug 1823, aged 74

I'll have a look at St Laurence and St Mary in a minute. There's a big gap between Sophia and William and they may have moved to another Reading parish at some point.
      Last edited by Marmaduke 123; 27-04-12, 12:21. Reason: Added witnesses to marriage

Comment

Reading St Laurence:

William Walton wid. of St Giles Reading and Elizabeth Haiter wid otp by licence 12 Mar 1812. Wits: Jos. Baylis, Elizabeth Taylor

Burial 29 Sep 1828 Mrs Elizabeth Walton aged 79, brought from St Marys.

Nothing at St Marys.

Philadelphia was neither buried nor married at any of the three parishes in Reading.

Comment

The NBI has the burial for Philadelphia Walton in 1811. This must be the mother, as Marmaduke indicates.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post

If a Philadelphia Walton married Edward Cleverly, this is very unlikely to be her as she would have been buried in her married name.
            I've pointed this out to at least one of the proponents of the PW-EC marriage. In my opinion, it's a case of having set your mind, you have a hard time accepting refuting evidence. There are many threads on that subject! There is a family Bible that gave them the idea, but I think there's been a mis-interpretation of what it is saying.

Thanks to both of you for the look ups

Comment

Originally posted by Marmaduke 123 View Post
              I'll have a look at St Laurence and St Mary in a minute. There's a big gap between Sophia and William and they may have moved to another Reading parish at some point.
              Yes, I've been looking at that too. I suspect these people were Dissenters, and wonder if they stopped baptizing girls in the Church of England? That William was the first boy so they did take him to the CofE for baptism. Please let me know what you think of this idea?

Edward Coverly's first wife was from Newbury, Berkshire, about 20 miles away. Philadelphia left her family Bible to one of EC's daughters. I wonder if there's a connection between the two families.

Thanks again

Comment

I've had a look at some of the online trees, which seem to have Philadelphia giving birth to Charlotte Joyce Coverley at age 12!

There's also a big gap between William and Philadelphia Blackman's marriage, and the first child. Possibly lots of miscarriages, or births recorded elsewhere. I can't really see marriage records for other possible children though.

The Blackman's are numerous in the St Giles registers from early on, but there aren't too many Waltons in Reading and no baptism for William.

I'm not sure about the Dissenter theory - St Giles had an evangelical anglican vicar from 1768-1774, followed by another who converted to the same ideas in about 1780. Some of the St Giles congregation did depart to the Baptists or the Countess of Huntingdon Connection in between. You'd have to ask Berkshire Record Office about the records for both of these. There don't seem to be any Quaker records, except for a Sarah Walton aged about 60 buried in Reading in 1788.

I can see Edward Coverley's marriage to Priscilla on Ancestry, at least we have that advantage now!

Good luck with disentangling it all.

Comment

There are several records, including Edward Coverly's family Bible and Charlotte Joyce's baptism, that show EC & his wife Priscilla as the parents of CJC. I'm guessing that the Philadelphia Walton advocates would argue that you can't prove that there's not another Edward Coverly with a daughter Charlotte Joyce living in London. There are enough missing records to allow them to believe that - for instance, I haven't found the baptisms of Charlotte's three children. I think they were all Dissenters. Disproving the negative is nigh impossible.

I'd missed the age of the would-be mother - thanks for that!

And very interesting about St Giles. Philadelphia's name catches my eye, because it has such strong Quaker association in the US. But I gather that the Quaker records are indexed and she's not there.

Thanks again
                  Sarah

Comment

New questions about these people:
                    ** Looking for a burial (or marriage?) record for Sophia Walton, baptized 7 Jun 1786, Reading - Ancestry family trees indicate she died 1844, but no explanation.

Can anyone tell which school William Walton taught at ? (b 1794, Reading; School Master in 1841, etc, in Hampton, Middlesex)

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                      ** Looking for a burial (or marriage?) record for Sophia Walton, baptized 7 Jun 1786, Reading - Ancestry family trees indicate she died 1844, but no explanation.

Can anyone tell which school William Walton taught at ? (b 1794, Reading; School Master in 1841, etc, in Hampton, Middlesex)
                      I see in 1841 he was in Church Street, Hampton and had a couple of dozen pupils aged between 7 and 15 staying on the premises so I would guess he had his own private school in Church Street. Still there in 1851 and 1861 though in 1861 only a couple of pupils were present - wonder if they were away for holiday or he was working towards retirement. In 1871 he was retired but still in Church Street which supports the idea that the school was his own private establishment. See he still had 2 pupils even though retired.
                      In 1861 he described himself as Master of a Classical School - presumably that meant he concentrated on Latin, Greek etc.
                      Last edited by JudithM; 30-07-12, 07:08.
                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                        I looked at many of the ancestry trees, not one has a place of death, or source of information, no spouse.

Maybe they all just copied the info from the first person who loaded the tree ? I have had my tree copied and know it, because they copied all my mistakes and have not done any further research to correct them.

Instead of contacting the tree owners, who rarely reply, why not leave a comment on Sophia's entry in one or more of the trees, saying you have no evidence of this, no entry in freebmd, etc, and ask for specifics. I often get a better response by doing that !! The only freebmd entry for Sophia Walton who died in 1844 is Sculcoates in Yorkshire, there's nothing in the NBI for 1844, nor any Sophia Walton in Berkshire or Middlesex in the 1841 census.

One of the trees for Edward Coverley has Priscilla's death as 1851 (freebmd Sep 1851 St Saviour) - so he could not have married Philadelphia if she died in 1830. Maybe some of them are confusing different people. Can't see Priscilla in the 1851 census though.

Maybe Philadelphia left her Bible to EC's daughter for a reason other than a marriage to EC, maybe she was related in some other way, and did not have children of her own to leave it too ?
                        Diane
                        Sydney Australia
                        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I've no idea if this is the correct Sophia Walton!

A Sophia Walton married James Delivet 14 Aug 1803 at St James Piccadilly. One of the witnesses was Christopher Walton.

A James Delivet was buried 13 Aug 1809 at St Ann Soho. Abode St Giles

No will unfortunately, but an admon Sep 1809 in the London probate index 1750-1858.

All above from Findmypast, first two from Westminster Archives records, with images.

A Sophia Delivet is recorded as occupier of a property in St Marylebone in 1811. She was assessed for 1s. 2d property tax.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                            I see in 1841 he was in Church Street, Hampton and had a couple of dozen pupils aged between 7 and 15 staying on the premises so I would guess he had his own private school in Church Street. Still there in 1851 and 1861 though in 1861 only a couple of pupils were present - wonder if they were away for holiday or he was working towards retirement. In 1871 he was retired but still in Church Street which supports the idea that the school was his own private establishment. See he still had 2 pupils even though retired.
                            In 1861 he described himself as Master of a Classical School - presumably that meant he concentrated on Latin, Greek etc.
                            Thanks, Judith. He did leave a will in 1889, so I guess I'll try to track it down. I'd love to know which school, and see if any of the pupils are other family members. Would a directory list his school's name?

How best to get a Middlesex will from that time period?

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
                              I looked at many of the ancestry trees, not one has a place of death, or source of information, no spouse.

Maybe they all just copied the info from the first person who loaded the tree ? I have had my tree copied and know it, because they copied all my mistakes and have not done any further research to correct them.
                              My thoughts exactly.

Instead of contacting the tree owners, who rarely reply, why not leave a comment on Sophia's entry in one or more of the trees, saying you have no evidence of this, no entry in freebmd, etc, and ask for specifics. I often get a better response by doing that !! The only freebmd entry for Sophia Walton who died in 1844 is Sculcoates in Yorkshire, there's nothing in the NBI for 1844, nor any Sophia Walton in Berkshire or Middlesex in the 1841 census.
                              I've communicated with two, they are really wedded to the idea...

One of the trees for Edward Coverley has Priscilla's death as 1851 (freebmd Sep 1851 St Saviour) - so he could not have married Philadelphia if she died in 1830. Maybe some of them are confusing different people. Can't see Priscilla in the 1851 census though.
                              Someone previously pointed out that this Philadelphia Walton would need to have been 12 to give birth to Charlotte Joyce in 1794. No other candidates seen.

Maybe Philadelphia left her Bible to EC's daughter for a reason other than a marriage to EC, maybe she was related in some other way, and did not have children of her own to leave it too ?
                              Yes, that's my idea,too. I know that EC advertized for a nurse for his children - she could have been in his household and known the children that way. Additionally, I've wondered if William Walton was a Dissenter - I know EC was - and I wonder if they knew each other that way. That's another reason I'm interested in the pupil list, too

Thanks, Diane
                              Last edited by PhotoFamily; 30-07-12, 14:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Marmaduke 123 View Post
                                I've no idea if this is the correct Sophia Walton!

A Sophia Walton married James Delivet 14 Aug 1803 at St James Piccadilly. One of the witnesses was Christopher Walton.

A James Delivet was buried 13 Aug 1809 at St Ann Soho. Abode St Giles

No will unfortunately, but an admon Sep 1809 in the London probate index 1750-1858.

All above from Findmypast, first two from Westminster Archives records, with images.

A Sophia Delivet is recorded as occupier of a property in St Marylebone in 1811. She was assessed for 1s. 2d property tax.

Anne
                                Do Admons show where money went, or rather, who it went to? Are there surviving records for that? I'm afraid it may be one of those things, where it could be, but is it?

Thanks, Anne

Comment

Also, as mentioned previously, I've wondered if the Waltons and the Coverlys could have a distant family connection. EC's first wife, Priscilla was born in Reading. I don't know where her father, George Tennant was born... and I haven't found her mother, Phebe either.

Can anyone find more about William Walton, Sr and his first wife Elizabeth? Did he leave a will?

I don't know much about searching Berkshire!
                                  thanks
                                  sarah

Comment

I have William Walton's will and it shows Sophia was married and her name was Brewerton. Sophia died in Reading in 1844 in the workhouse. I cannot find a marriage.
                                    Philadelphia never married as far as I'm concerned. I have a photocopy of the cover and front page of the Bible and cannot believe she was married to Edward Coverly as his wife died after she did. Philadelphia died while living on leonard Street and the Coverly family also lived on the same street.
                                    William benefitted from his fathers will and recieved enough money to buy a building on Church Street, Hampton and open a school. He had 13 children, one of which I am descended from, and also took in several grand children. By the time he died he was very wealthy owning several properties.
                                    Hope this helps.

Comment

Awesome, Lynda!!! Thank you SOOO much for sharing!

Comment

Anyone got this family connected to Pearson Walton b about 1750?

Comment

Working...
                                        X