Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wearing / Waring Family Blackpool/Blackburn

Hello,
    On starting my family tree I have had a few success stories tracking down relatives both in Ireland and the US. The UK is proving a bit of a stumbling block though.
    I am searching (on behalf of my 1st cousin) for Waring / Wearing relatives who's descendants would have come from Blackpool or Blackburn. I do know that Edward Waring used to own the Doric Hotel in Blackpool. He was either a brother or a cousin of the waring's I am researching - other family members were Thomas, Francis, Ellen, Robert, Oliver (among others), all born circa 1886 and their father was Thomas Waring married to Isabelle Aspen (or Aspden). Any help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by franlynch View Post
    [- other family members were Thomas, Francis, Ellen, Robert, Oliver (among others), all born circa 1886 and their father was Thomas Waring married to Isabelle Aspen (or Aspden). Any help would be appreciated.
    Have you found this family on the census, if so could you give the reference(s).
    Elaine

Comment

there's an isabelle aspden and john waring poss marriage in 1880 blackburn.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
        there's an isabelle aspden and john waring poss marriage in 1880 blackburn.
        That was the only link I could find as well but when I followed them through the census the children's names didn't seem to match - and there was certainly no indication of being a hotel owner!
        Elaine

Comment

There are absolutely dozens of males called Edward Waring - can you put a time scale on him please?

Also MANY children born to Waring/Aspden, including two who cannot possibly be the children of John and Isabella. (Born too late)

OC

Comment

i get the impression the actual blood line is in the us or ireland, and the peripheral family members are in england, so if you can say who your ancestor is, what you have on them, and what it is your after, we can help you out.

Comment

Waring family info

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
              i get the impression the actual blood line is in the us or ireland, and the peripheral family members are in england, so if you can say who your ancestor is, what you have on them, and what it is your after, we can help you out.
              That's correct,
              The query is for my 1st cousin who would love to find some living relatives of her father, John Waring. The details are as follows: -

1911 Census - RG14 / 25098 - 34 Higher Audley St Blackburn

John Waring, HOF, 51, Pot Man
              Isabella, Wife, 53, Housewife.
              Thomas, Son, 26, Waiter
              Joseph, Son, 23, Carrier
              Nellie, Daughter, 20, Weaver Cotton
              Mary Terese, Daughter, 15, Weaver Cotton
              Frederick Whiteside, Boarder, 31, General Labourer

Their other children were
              William 1881
              Frederick 1882
              Robert Oliver 1886
              Francis 1889
              Elizabeth 1893
              Rose Alice 1897
              George Albert 1898

Beside Thomas name it states married 6 years with 1 child born and 1 died. It has then been crossed out in red ink. I don't know who by. This is where the mystery starts.

Thomas went to the US in 1911, aged 25 on the Baltic – I have found his manifest. It states that he was single. Mary Callinan travelled in 1908 and met Thomas in New York – they married in 1913. They had a child, John Waring, born in October 1913 but she sadly died in childbirth. Following this Thomas returned the child to Ireland to be reared by his aunt.

I have found their marriage cert, I have her death cert and I know where she is buried in Calvary Cemetery – all that part of the story is good.

I am trying to determine 2 things: -

Was Thomas actually married prior to leaving for New York? If so, were there children from that marriage.
              Are there any other living relatives out there?
              I hadn't expected such a swift and detailed response, thank you so much to everyone for replying.

Comment

It isn't very likely that Thomas had any other children in his "first" marriage, as he must have gone shortly after the census was taken and at that point he has stated he has no living children. (This information was crossed out by the enumerator as it was only married WOMEN who were supposed to answer the question).

Unfortunately, there are many men named Thomas Waring and it is almost impossible to pin down any marriages for him.

OC

Comment

Now, this is wild speculation.....

I am guessing that the family was Roman Catholic and if so, the only likely marriage that comes up for Thomas Waring is in 1905, to Elizabeth McNurtney, at Preston RO or Preston Registrar Attended - that is often an indication that the marriage took place in a Roman Catholic chapel.

In 1910, Elizabeth Ann Waring dies in Blackburn, aged 21. this would mean that thomas should have put "widowed" on the census but maybe he didn't understand what was being asked?

As I said, wild speculation but I cannot see anythng else that jumps out.

OC

Comment

Working...
                  X