Ralph coulson 1817

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ralph coulson 1817

I am researching my 2nd great grandfather (ralph coulson born about 1817 higherds,herefordshire)this information is on ancestry,the census says he lived in "higherds"herefordshire,but there seems to be no place named "higherds"i am try to go back to search his parents,thank you.
    Valerie coulson

Welcome to Family tree Forum.

Presume you are talking about the 1851 census - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...rc=&pid=736941
    Looking at the image I would guess the place of birth is Highcross Herefordshire - using the old style "fs" in place of "ss"

High Cross appears to be a monument - found this reference to it

Can't see his parents at the moment.
    Elaine

Comment

Thank you elaine,i am new to researching so this is so much help"your a star"i am so slow at it,
      valerie

Comment

Sorry to put the cat amongst the pigeons, but to me it looks like "High Cross Hertfordshire" and that is how FMP have transcribed it.

Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Here he is I think in 1841, with baby Thomas and his wife:

1841 Census
          CANSTON, Ralph
          ST GEORGE THE MARTYR SOUTHWARK, Surrey
          HO107 piece 1086 folio 2/16 page 25

The enumerator doesn't seem to be able to spell his name.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Hello, thanks for the reply,as i am new to this it is really confusing ,on ancestry it says herefordshire,it seems to fit, i have gone from my self back to "ralph"but have come to a standstill,i had an idea that higherds may have been spelt wrong,so would they have miss spelt herefordshire for hertfordshire,thank you for your help.
            Valerie

Comment

I ment to ask what is the" fmp" sorry if it sounds stupid but i am just getting to research,thank you.
              Valerie

Comment

FMP stands for FindMyPast.

I have viewed the census image, not just read the transcription. I believe it clearly says "Hertfordshire", and as you will see from my link there is a place called High Cross in Hertfordshire.

"Furthermore, there was a blacksmith called Ralph Coulson in Hertfordshire - perhaps an ancestor?
                The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

Lease for 1 year DE/Cm/37511 1st December

Contents: 1. John Clinton of Braughing, yeoman.
                2. Ralph Coulson of Watton-at-Stone, blacksmith.
                4 acres of arable in Harefield, Cottered, Nermers (3 acres), Ardeley, parcel of arable & parcel of meadow in Ramsden field, Cottered. Abuttals given.
                Witnesses - John Pritchard.
                Robert Tite.
                Daniel Kent"

Watton-at-Stone is just 5 miles from High Cross.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:

Comment

Look at this link:

Welcome to Hertfordshire County Council. Find out more about the council and the services we provide.

This is Hertfordshire County Council's website. There are wills for people called Ralph Coulson.

There are marriages too and other information.
                  Welcome to Hertfordshire County Council. Find out more about the council and the services we provide.

I shan't be around for 24 hours so I won't be ignoring you if I don't reply!
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

The links don't seem to work.

Google "Hertfordshire Names Online".
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:

Comment

Thank you,i had a look ,and i see what you mean it is hertforshire thank you again,i would not of thought to look more closer,silly as it may seem,
                      you learn something new every day!
                      Will have a look at the other links.
                      Valerie

Comment

Thank you i see what you mean i did not think to look at the image closer,silly a it may seem!i suppose the more research i do the better i will get!i will look up the links you sent me.
                        Valerie

Comment

Sorry Valerie, my apologies! I would agree with Elizabeth that it is Hertfordshire.
                          Elaine

Comment

Thank you for your help Elaine i do appreciate all the help.
                            valerie

Comment

Thank you Elizabeth,i do appreciate all the help.
                              Valerie

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                                Sorry to put the cat amongst the pigeons, but to me it looks like "High Cross Hertfordshire" and that is how FMP have transcribed it.

http://twvillage.co.uk/high-cross-hertfordshire/
                                How do i find out who were ralphs parents,or any other information relating to him(birth)were he lived in"highcross"sorry i am useless at research,thank you
                                valerie

Comment

Valerie, I'm going over to Herts RO in the next couple of weeks. Would you like me to look at the Parish Registers for you?
                                  Elizabeth
                                  Research Interests:

Comment

Yes please!i have only got this far back with the help of the internet,and some really help full information from "maryb"on the Keighley proboards when i first got started. ( My Grandfather Frederick Charles coulson was born in keighley yorkshire1877)he was the son of (Ralph Coulson born 1847 Southwark Surrey ) he was the son of(Ralph Coulson 1817 High Cross?Hertfordsire) i really have no clue as to what to do when i get stuck on a family member so your help would be greatly appreciated,thank you.
                                    valerie

Comment

Valerie, I'll let you know when I'm going.
                                      Elizabeth
                                      Research Interests:

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                                        X