Where is 3xGGrandfather buried?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is 3xGGrandfather buried?

Thomas Apps (yes, him again!) died in 1844 in Chichester. His burial is recorded in the parish register of St Peter Subdeanery in January of that year. The problem is that, at that date, the subdeanery church was located inside the Cathedral and it does not seem likely that he would be buried in the Cathedral surrounds. I do not know of any graveyard for St Peters. The Chichester Cemetary was not opened until 1859 (and the new church for St Peter the Great was not built until about 1852 ). If he had been buried in another churchyard I would have expected that the burial would have been recorded there.
    Has anyone an idea where I could look next?
    Shirley

If you look at this link Shirley you will see an address and better still a link to e-mail the OPC co-ordinator. You could try telling them what you are looking for and asking them who might know or where you should contact next to find out.
    Sussex Online Parish Clerks - a reference and research aid for family historians and genealogists.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

if it's recorded as the sub deanery, he is buried there. i have a lot of family buried in the churches of chichester, and the sub deanery does come up a bit.

Comment

OK - some progress! I contacted Chichester Cathedral and a very nice gentleman rang me back. He said that at the time Thomas was buried he would have been buried near the cathedral. He was unable to tell me exactly where (but I hardly expected that!). He did, however, say that there was a dispute about burials in the Cathedral burial ground at a later date and suggested some further reading that I might find at the Record Office.
        He was most helpful and even gave me his private telephone number, if I had any more questions!
        I suppose this might lead me on to a wider research but all information is useful and I have more relatives who lived in the Subdeanery parish.
        I have found the reference to the pamphlet and I can view it at the Record Office when next I go into Chichester.
        Last edited by Shirley silver surfer; 05-05-12, 22:34. Reason: omission

Comment

Working...
        X