Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sarah Cearns maiden name

This is the family on the 1881 census

Sarah is born c1860 and gives her place of birth as Wolverhampton.

I have her marriage in 1879 to John Quayle Cearns and her maiden name is given as Nicloaise. She is illiterate so Vicar has written it down as he thinks is is spelt. Her fathers name is Thomas a labourer:

Nicloaise doesn't seem to exist! Their son Richards birth certificate gives his mothers maiden name as Nicholas, which seems bit more realistic. I cannot find a Sarah Nicholas or similar with a father Thomas in the Staffordshire area on a census. The only likely one I came up with is this:

Surname is Nicholls ? Father is thomas but a bootmaker and I would have thought that if he was a bootmaker in 1871 he would still be that in 1879 as that quite a skilled profession. Am wondering if I should get one of the other childrens birth certificates to see if it gives me another spelling of her name!

thoughts would be much appreciated!
    KAREN xx

How about this one in Wednesbury http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=15033726
    Father's a miner but could then be a labourer
    Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret and thanks for looking

You right it could be them as Miner could definately be classed as labourer. So difficult to say for sure. Do you think if I can find a birth record for one of the other children it would be worth seeing if this time her name comes back as Nichols? this was a big problem in those days wasn't it? the fact that they couldn't write, because they had no idea if there name was being spelt correctly on the certificates!!!
      KAREN xx

Comment

Tried to follow that family on the 1881 to make sure that Sarah was not living with them as she married in 1879 and cannot find Thomas and Martha on the 1881, typical!!!

AAAHHHH Just found this family on a tree someone researching on Ancestry and Thomas and Martha went to Australia, with daughter Sarah, blast!
        Last edited by Fuzzy; 23-04-12, 11:54. Reason: added text
        KAREN xx

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post
          Hi Margaret and thanks for looking

You right it could be them as Miner could definately be classed as labourer. So difficult to say for sure. Do you think if I can find a birth record for one of the other children it would be worth seeing if this time her name comes back as Nichols? this was a big problem in those days wasn't it? the fact that they couldn't write, because they had no idea if there name was being spelt correctly on the certificates!!!
          Yes, it is a problem and also there was no need for much consistency of spelling as they didn't have to keep showing documents to prove who they were or anything - like we do today!

margaret

Comment

Do you know when she died d if so where buried? Just thinking a headstone might have a day and month for birth which could help pin it down.
            Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret,

Have a look at my post above yours, can eliminate that family you found, back to the drawing board!!

Just seen your latest post, no i haven't pinned her death down yet. Will try looking for that. Thanks for advice margaret xx
              Last edited by Fuzzy; 23-04-12, 12:01. Reason: added text
              KAREN xx

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post
                Hi Margaret,

Have a look at my post above yours, can eliminate that family you found, back to the drawing board!!

Just seen your latest post, no i haven't pinned her death down yet. Will try looking for that. Thanks for advice margaret xx
                Well at least elimination is progress!!

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                  Well at least elimination is progress!!

Margaret
                  Indeed!!!!
                  KAREN xx

Comment

Did Sarah have any daughters and if so what were the names please?

I am wondering if Thomas a labourer as a father might have been invented, but a daughter's name might help find Sarah's mother's name and finding the mother and Sarah together in an early census might give a clue to her origins.

Gwyn

Comment

Hi Gywn,

Sarah had a daughter called Sarah Alice b1886. They did tend to call their sons and daughters after the names of their parents on this side!
                      KAREN xx

Comment

Freebmd shows birth registrations in 1861 and 1862 for Sarah NICKLISS in the right area....
                        I haven't looked for them in census yet.

Gwyn

Comment

Have looked at those Gwyn, fathers on the census are a John and Josiah. thanks for taking time to help I appreciate it xx
                          KAREN xx

Comment

Well I've seen it all now In my hunt for Sarah I found this in 1861 and the fathers name looks like Josiah. The transcriber has decided that HE is named Sarah, with a wife named Elizabeth!!

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I was also looking at this Sarah in 1871 and wondering?
                              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Is a possibility Chrissie that 1871! also the 1861 image I think says Nicholas. Wish I could find her with father Thomas!! Thanks for looking Chrissie xx
                                KAREN xx

Comment

Working...
                                X