Elsie Wright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elsie Wright

I have hit a brick wall researching my mother’s past and am hoping other members might be able to suggest where I can try next.
    My mother was apparently abandoned as a child of about 3 years old. She remembered walking beside a pram and then being asked to go into a shop. When she came out pram and mother, Nanny, or whoever, had gone.
    She was raised in a children’s home, we believe, somewhere in the south of England and she always retained a “southern” accent – barth and not bath etc. Her maiden name was Elsie Wright and she was born on 19th July 1920 but her name and birth date may have been given to her at the home.
    She apparently was in domestic service in the 1930’s and enlisted in the WAAF in August 1941. She was always extremely reticent about her past, and I have nothing to research apart from the above anecdotal history as she died many years ago. Any help would be gratefully received!

Do you have your mothers, marriage certificate? If so is there a fathers name on it? Having re-read your post, I think I am straw clutching! If she was only about 3 she probably doesn't remember her fathers name! Sorry cannot be more help, I cannot think of a way around this. Without even knowing which childrens home it was your task is very difficult. If you did find the one she was raised in they would be able to tell you if the name was assigned to her by them. Good luck and if you manage to get any more info please share it with us.
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 22-04-12, 14:08. Reason: added text
    KAREN xx

Comment

do you have her death cert ??

Comment

just a thought can you apply for her WAAF records ? might tell you something .

Comment

Welcome to FTF.

You need to start with what information you have and check that out before assuming that it is a dead end.

So the first thing to check is her date of birth and see if there is a birth registration for the name you have for her - there may be many people with the same name registered in the same quarter but you will hopefully have an exact day and year so could ask the GRO to have a look for the details.

Getting the WAFF records would be the next thing to check as she will have had to prove her identity I imagine again though just checking what was said at the time.

We have found on here that sometimes a story told about someone's origins is not always exactly what they said either because they didn't know or because they wanted to paint a different picture than the truth.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
          X