British Postal Service Appointment Books, 1737-1969

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Postal Service Appointment Books, 1737-1969

Please could someone look at a record for me? I searched for Francis Stowell, with no other details & the only Stowell that it brought up was F S Stowell, in London 1924. The initals would be correct as would the place, so I am hoping that this might be my great grandfather.

Many thanks
    Lynn

Here's part of the image. Can't read some of it.
    Attached Files
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thats interesting, thanks Wendy. It doesn't really help either way, which is annoying. The story went that he was in the TPA at one point. Thanks again
      Lynn

Comment

> .... in the TPA at one point.

What's TPA, please?

STG
        Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

That should be TPO, which I think stands for Train Post Office or Travelling. according to my notes he used to sort post between London & Scotland.
          Lynn

Comment

Lynn, there are a few entries for a Frank Stowell 1910 - 1913, place appointed Bristol
            Situation to which nominated - listed as Asst. Pman and Pman
            Elaine

Comment

In retrospect, probably not yours as there is a Frank Stowell living in Keynsham in the 1911 census, occ. postman.
              Elaine

Comment

Definitely not yours. The F S Stowell you have found is an Unestablished Skilled Workman (i.e. an engineering technician) in The Eng(ineering) Dept. in London.
                Last edited by Uncle John; 22-04-12, 18:48.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Lynn,

this FS Stowell is shown as an Unest Skld Workman, an Unestablished Skilled Workman, if that helps at all with identification. He clearly was not a Postman at that stage and a person in an 'unestablished' post would not be considered as a permanent member of the Civil Service, which included the Post Office then. Any unestablished service could not count for any pension. All persons employed in an established post with the Post Office were usually shown in the London Gazette on appointment and subsequent promotions.

merleyone

Comment

Snap!
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you all, definitley not my man, thats a shame.
                      Lynn

Comment

Working...
                      X