Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why would married man say unmarried while in workhouse ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would married man say unmarried while in workhouse ?

I have a man in a workhouse in 1871 his wife is still alive but he says unmarried? any ideas why ? thanks

Because he didn't fill in the form, the workhouse master did (or a clerk).

OC

Comment

didn't they ask then ? OC thanks for that, wonder if his wife is in a different one then? was that a common thing to do ?

Comment

could he have lied?

If he had a wife, would the workhouse have allowed him in?

Have you looked for, and found, his wife on that same census?
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I've just checked what one of mine said Val, because I knew he was in the workhouse in 1911. He says widowed and I know for a fact that his wife was very much alive and out lived him by several years.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

the clerk would have filled in the census return from the Admissions book, he wouldn't have gone round the workhouse asking each inmate about themselves. He might have been careless filling in so many details, or the admission details might have been wrong.

Any living family would have been expected to make a financial contribution to the inmate's keep, so better for an inmate if they had no spouse or family. (Well, better for the family, probably!)

OC

Comment

Working...
            X