Value of death certificates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value of death certificates

I know this has been said again and again re the value of getting a death cert BUT I have never had such a brilliant result from one before!

Re my Catherine Rooney/Cearns from yesterday

Her death certificate arrived today, it confirms that she was born in 1883. Informant was a daughter we didn't know existed and doesn't appear on the 1911 census as she was born just after census taken. I have since found this daughters marriage and the children from that marriage. My husband has cousins he didn't know existed!! Am so lucky that not only is Cearns an unusal name but she married a Limacher, very unsual!!

After the frustrations of yesterday am on a real high today!!

So moral of story is I suppose is that although they not as exciting as births and marriage certs, death certs sometimes supply us with real gems of info.
    KAREN xx

I am really pleased for you - it makes it all worthwhile paying for one. :o
    Angelina

Comment

Thanks angelina, just had to share, first piece of good luck I have had researching OH tree!
      KAREN xx

Comment

That's great news - I hope you manage to contact some of the cousins (-:
        Denise

Comment

Thanks Denise and indeed I have! with two such unusual names it was easy peasy! Hubby cannot believe he had aunt he knew nothing about and now 3 cousins!
          KAREN xx

Comment

It's very satisfying to get such an interesting result, you just never know what might be on a death cert, I haven't bought them for all my ancestors yet (and my family have now got used to giving me death certs for birthday & Xmas), some are mundane and others have been real gems.

Comment

I wish I could afford more certs even death ones as I have found them helpful too, finding like you children I knew nothing about ,its exciting isn't it good luck

Comment

the deaths are extremely helpful, but people don't see it because they don't record parents.

Comment

It is so exciting!! have been on the phone to my niece most of the weekend and she is thrilled to discover she has new relatives!! Have several deaths certs but never has one thrown up such an interesting revelation
                  KAREN xx

Comment

How wonderful Fuzzy, I'm so pleased for you. Hearing tales like your's keeps me going when the search seems fruitless.

'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.' Bertrand Russel.

Comment

I'm really pleased for you Fuzzy
                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks girls, this family are turning into one of the most interesting I have done! My husbands grandmother whose death cert it was has lost so many children plus her husband to TB, it really tugs at the heart strings. We still cannot fathom out why my husbands mum ended up in Scotland aged 9 though, this did coincide with her father dying, but her mother was still alive. Can only assume that losing her husband and so many children she lost the plot abit!
                        KAREN xx

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post
                          Thanks girls, this family are turning into one of the most interesting I have done! My husbands grandmother whose death cert it was has lost so many children plus her husband to TB, it really tugs at the heart strings. We still cannot fathom out why my husbands mum ended up in Scotland aged 9 though, this did coincide with her father dying, but her mother was still alive. Can only assume that losing her husband and so many children she lost the plot abit!
                          If she was brought up by relatives then that might have been a way of helping out at a bad time.

Margaret

Comment

Yes I agree Margaret, she was brought up by her Aunt who married a Scotmans. What I cannot understand is why she told nobody about her sister who married and had children in Wales. Also a brother who didn't die until the 1970's
                            KAREN xx

Comment

Working...
                            X