where did Joseph go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where did Joseph go?

I am hoping someone's fresh eyes can find something I am missing.
    Joseph Brook Sanders was born in Fulham in 1867. In 1871 he is with his family at Springfield Terrace, Fulham. His father, also Joseph Brook Sanders, is a carpenter from Lifton Devon. Sister Clara was born there in 1865, so that narrows down the move to London. His mother, Lydia was born in Germany (kingdom of Saxony).
    I haven't found either parent in 1861, or a marriage record, although of course it's possible they married in Germany.
    Anyway, in 1871 the Sanders seem to be quite well off, and have a servant.
    My great grandmother, also Lydia Sanders, was born in 1875 at Harwood Road, Fulham, and according to library records her father took her for her smallpox jab in April of that year. By the end of 1875 they have left the area.

In 1881 Joseph jnr is living in cornwall with his paternal aunt, Mary Ann Wise. Her husband had died in 1879, and Joseph is aged 14, an apprentice plumber.

That is the last I have of him. I have Lydia as a widow (but have never found Joseph snrs death) in 1881 and 1891 in Mile End, East london. She remarries in 1895 and dies in 1898. I also have Lydia jnr up to her death in 1899, and Clara all the way through her 3 marriages, 4 children, and move to West Ham.

But Joseph jnr is a real puzzle. Mary Ann Wise and all her children emigrated to Canada (Ontario) in 1883, and several Sanders siblings are already there. I have searched the canadian and american records but have no trace of Joseph after the age of 14.

What do you think happened to him? I'm hoping for any new ideas on where to look, or something I have missed. There are many mistranscriptions for this family, including Landers, Danders, Wile. Sometimes Brook is just a B, or not included at all. And of course sometimes they are down as Saunders. I have many records already for the other Sanders, but Joseph jnr (and snr!) have eluded me.

Thanks in advance for any ideas
    Denise

If you Google "Joseph Brook Sanders" (include the" ") you get a few interesting hits.

It looks as though the father was bankrupt in 1868. Also there is a Rootsweb page where someone has transcribed some Brazilian records and include a passport application for a Joseph Brook Sanders in 1890. This one may not be yours - the age was given as 59, first arrived in Brazil in 1879 and I don't know if the age was 59 in 1879 or 1890 - either way its a bit out.

I know you are looking for the son but thought these may be useful
    Jackie

Comment

cant help you Denise ,but this brings back memories we lived in Fulham for quite a while and had a friend who lived in Harwood Road.

Comment

night owl - that is amazing! I searched for the father for years with no luck, I am off to google now - the very interesting point here is that Lydia Sanders (German in 1871) stated in 1881 that POB was Brazil, South America which never made any sense but makes me feel there must be a link with what you've found (-:
        Thankyou so much
        Denise

Comment

Ok, I have looked at the London Gazette, that is definitely my Joseph going bankrupt, the address is the same as 1868 and 71 - most of the leads on Google are mine lol, forums and Curious Fox where I have been searching for Joseph snr for so long. Going to sift through the rest of the results now
          Thanks again
          Denise

Comment

Looking at the london gazette records, Joseph is declared bankrupt again in 1872.
            The Brazilian records are very interesting, can anyone tell me if I could find out whether he used his passport (issued March 1890) - I'm wondering if he returned to England to see his family, or travelled to Canada to stay with his siblings
            Thankyou very much
            Denise

Comment

There is a record for a Mr J B Sanders aged 16 in the Victoria, Australia assisted & unassisted passenger lists. He arrived from London in either Adelaide or Sydney on 1 July 1883 aboard the Cuzco.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...oriaPL&indiv=1

A long shot I know, but could he have gone to Australia when his aunt went to Canada?
              Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 21-04-12, 14:41.
              My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Thanks Sue, I couldn't access the whole record on ancestry without the right sub, but it does say Joseph B Sanders. And 16 would be the right age for him in 1883. So I think it is worth investigating. I'm not sure why he didn't go with his aunt and cousins to Canada, especially as he was young.
                I'm going to see what Australian records I can find in this name, thankyou again
                Denise

Comment

Originally posted by darannon View Post
                  Looking at the london gazette records, Joseph is declared bankrupt again in 1872.
                  It might be a later stage of the same bankruptcy. You normally get 3 or 4 entries in the Gazette for different stages in the process, so you need to read the wording carefully.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                  X