Catherine Rooney birth registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catherine Rooney birth registration

I have just started doing my husbands tree and am stuck already LOL!!

His mothers birth certificate states her mother was a catherine rooney. on catherine rooneys marriage certificate it states her father as Hugh Rooney a dockworker. the marriage took place in Liverpool on the 22nd of February 1905 and catherine says she is 21.

I found a catholic baptism for a catherine rooney with father hugh rooney and mother margaret ward (great it gives mothers maiden name) this states that catherine was born on the 21st of November 1883 and bapt on the 17th of december 1883. I can find no birth reg for catherine either in the last quarter of 1883 or the first quarter of 1884.

I did then find a catholic marriage for a Hugh Rooney and margaret ward in 1888. am wondering even though by law she should have been registered she wasn't as the parents were not married. My lot all lied through their back teeth but perhaps Margaret could not tell such lies??!!

I have found Hugh and Margaret Rooney on the 1891 listed as Hugh and Maggie with a Kate Rooney and think this is them, they are not together on the 1901. on the 1911 Hugh and Margaret state that they have had 4 children 3 of whom have lived. Well two sons are at home, I found a baptism of a daughter who later died and then there would have been Catherine who married in 1905. so all this ties in. BUT would love to get her actual birth certificate just to cross the T's and dot the I's!!

any help in finding the birth or if some kind soul could just confim my thoughts I would be very grateful. I don't want to go off track at the very beginning!!

Many thanks
    KAREN xx

What about this one?
    England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index,
    Catherine Ward
    Oct-Nov-Dec 1883
    Liverpool, volume 8b, page 68

.. presuming she was born before the marriage of her parents.
    Elaine

Comment

Well, technically if Margaret and Hugh weren't married the registration would be under Ward but can't see one for that either. Maybe Catherine was born in Ireland as I guess that's where Hugh originates.

You could check familysearch.org for Irish/Scottish birth regs.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
        What about this one?
        England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index,
        Catherine Ward
        Oct-Nov-Dec 1883
        Liverpool, volume 8b, page 68

.. presuming she was born before the marriage of her parents.
        I saw that one Elaine but there is a corresponding baptism and the parents are different. But of ocurse the other baptism could apply so getting the cert is probably the only way to determine it.
        Margaret

Comment

We on same wavelength elaine! but margaret is right, I found catherine ward with parents on the census. Catherine i am sure was born in England as her father Hiugh definately was according to the census. I am pretty sure that I have the right info re Hugh rooney and margaret ward but just wanted to be sure by getting the birth certificate. Looks as if I will have to rely on the baptism record though!!
          KAREN xx

Comment

I wonder if this is how Hugh and Margaret met ;) But why not get married until 1888 if they were both single?
            Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 20-04-12, 10:50.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post
              We on same wavelength elaine! but margaret is right, I found catherine ward with parents on the census.
              Are you saying that you think the birth registration I found belongs to this Catherine Ward

If she was born 1883 4th quarter then she would have been 7 on the census, not 8.
              I know ages are a bit flexible, but .... ??
              Elaine

Comment

WOW Chrissie!! Clever Clever girl!!!! Thanks so much for that!! That must be them!!
                KAREN xx

Comment

Catherine father was Hugh. So I am pretty sure that it is not Catherine Ward she is registered under Elaine. I was convinced that I had cracked it when I saw the birth reg for Catherine Ward but following her up on the census the father was wrong.
                  KAREN xx

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                    Are you saying that you think the birth registration I found belongs to this Catherine Ward

If she was born 1883 4th quarter then she would have been 7 on the census, not 8.
                    I know ages are a bit flexible, but .... ??
                    I didn't check the census I just looked at a baptism record which showed parents as John Ward and Maria McIntyre. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=6598

Margaret

Comment

Did you confirm that Catherine was born in Liverpool? Have you found her and your grandfather on the 1911 census?

Margaret

Comment

But why not get married until 1888 if they were both single?
                        http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=8864262[/QUOTE]

This is what I am wondering chrissie!! Why on earth didn't they marry? they were catholic as well. have double checked my facts and even looked at the marriage records to see if Catholic marriage entry wrong, but they both give them same info re 1888.
                        KAREN xx

Comment

It could be then that you have not found the right parents! I crossed posted with you earlier #12 so you might not have seen my questions.
                          Margaret

Comment

On the 1911 census Catherine is with new Husband Richard Cearns and gives place of birth as Liverpool. They have a son Hugh Cearns named for her father I believe.

I think they lie on the census how long they have been married as Hugh would have been born before they marry in 1905.
                            KAREN xx

Comment

Have you got a link to that marriage please Fuzzy? Or where did you find it?

Comment

So presume this is Hugh's birth
                                Hugh Rooney
                                Jul-Aug-Sep 1903
                                Liverpool
                                Volume 8b
                                Page 103

and then the parent's marriage
                                Richard Cearne / Catherine Rooney
                                Jan-Feb-Mar 1905
                                Liverpool
                                Volume Number 8b
                                Page Number 201
                                Elaine

Comment

Gosh I had forgotten how fast you lovely folks reply to stuff!! Am out of practice!! Yes Elaine that is the marriage and I actually have the certificate chrissie, stating Hugh as Catherines Father. OMG Elaine Yes Yes Yes that must be Hugh Rooneys birth, I was pretty sure that he was born before they married. Am wondering now if Richard Cearns was even his father!! Will have to get the birth certificate to find out if indeed it states Catherine Rooney as mother and if so who if any is named as father.!!!
                                  KAREN xx

Comment

Think that may not be necessary re the mother!!! Look what I found under catholic baptisms!!!!!
                                    Hugo Rooney 5 Sep 1903 11 Sep 1903 St Nicholas Catharinae Rooney

Still want to get birth though as want to know who the father was!!
                                    KAREN xx

Comment

It was actually Cearns, not Cearne. Here they are in 1911 -

Comment

They appear to have had 3 children from 1913 to 1923

Comment

Working...
                                        X