Marriage for Jane Brimble Westlake of Somerset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage for Jane Brimble Westlake of Somerset

Could someone tell me if Jane Brimble Westlake of Somerset born 19 Jan 1834 to Sophia Westlake & Henry Brimble - ever marry a James Sealey?

I have the 1881 Census & 1891 Census for James & Jane Sealey - I have a vague recollection that James died in a horse and cart accident which must have occurred between the two censuses, as he is not shown on the 1891 census.
    jood sadly died in November 2019.

From FreeBMD

Q/E June 1854 Axbridge
    James SEALY
    Jane WESTLAKE
    Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie, that confirms I'm on the right track.

Is there anywhere in UK I can look up newspapers for the accident which would have occurred between 81 & 91?

Comment

Re the marriage - its on Somerset OPC at St Christopher Lympsham

I think this is the most likely death

Q/E March 1885
        James SEALEY 51 Axbridge

I've looked at the 19th Century British Library Newspapers that I have access to through my library but can't see anything about it I'm afraid
        Jackie

Comment

Thanks so much for your help - the death would be about right

Can I ask you what OPC stands for?

I appreciate what you've done for me.

Comment

Online Parish Clerks - they're volunteers who transcribe parish records. Several counties have them - there's more information here

Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie

Comment

Jackie - sorry to bother you again - Is there anywhere in UK I can look up newspapers for the accident which would have occurred between 81 & 91?

Comment

Hi Jood, not a problem

See post #4 above. I've looked at the newspapers I have free access to and couldn't see anything (someone else may have better luck). A lot of us in the UK have access to some papers through our library services.

There is this site which you can search for free and if you then want to see an article you have to buy credits

Whether you are a researcher, historian or you simply want to know more about Britain's history, take this fantastic opportunity to search The British Newspaper Archive - a vast treasure trove of historical newspapers from your own home.

Other than that I would imagine you would need to see the local papers to where the death occurred if they haven't been put online. I'm not familiar with Somerset but I think there are a few members here who might have more info.

How did you find out that he died in a horse and cart accident?
                  Jackie

Comment

I can't remember Jackie how I found out - isn't that awful. I've looked through my records and it could even still be there somewhere.

You know how it is when you don't research a particular family for a long time, and you forget things about them - well this one, I just remember seeing about the accident!!! I should have put it in their notes at the time. I'm sure some of my family history goes missing sometimes!

I'll look up that sight and trawl around. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by jood View Post
                      You know how it is when you don't research a particular family for a long time, and you forget things about them - well this one, I just remember seeing about the accident!!! I should have put it in their notes at the time. I'm sure some of my family history goes missing sometimes!
                      Yes I'm guilty of that - I always think I'll remember later. I sometimes find things when I'm looking for something else entirely and forget to make a note of it. My Ancestry shoebox is crammed with stuff that I've put in for later so that's quite useful
                      Jackie

Comment

I really should devote time to just one family only - and get it sorted out and up to date!

Comment

Hold it!!!!! I did a search on my own computer (now why didn't I think of that before!) - for Sealey - and up came an email from someone long long ago - with the said information!!!

Not sure if you wanted to see it - but it's all there, so I best go and put it on their tree this minute!

Comment

Just looked at some trees on Ancestry for James Sealey and there's quite a bit of info on them. (I presume one is yours?) Perhaps the person who sent the original email had the death cert. I saw the details of the email and tried a few different searches of the newspapers but couldn't find anything I'm afraid
                            Jackie

Comment

If you were looking at the same one as me Jackie - it has all the info on the accident, in fact it actually had the thread name down the bottom

Is that the same one you saw?

Comment

No I saw some which quoted an email but I hadn't seen that Rootsweb link. Lots of info for you to look into there. You might be able to make some useful contacts
                                Jackie

Comment

Yes, am madly entering it all in. So what was the site you saw then?

Comment

It was a tree on Ancestry

If you look at the death source it quotes the email
                                    Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie - but it wont let me get in there. Never mind, I guess I have all I want.

Comment

Sorry I thought you had Ancestry. The Rootsweb link you posted has more information on it than the tree anyway so I shouldn't worry
                                        Jackie

Comment

Working...
                                        X