Deciphering wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciphering wanted

I wonder if someone could read over what I have been sent, and what I have typed. I have typed the words in red which I am not sure of.

Also, would you know what C.O.H would stand for?

Thank you.
    Attached Files
    jood sadly died in November 2019.

The image you have attached is too small for me to read Jood. You really need to upload it to an external site such as Photobucket and then provide the link. By using the paperclip option on the forum the image is reduced in size considerably.
    Elaine

Comment

Sorry Elaine

I presume the doc part is ok ?

Comment

Catholic Orphan Home?

Where did you find this document?

OC

Comment

I think your transcription looks correct.

Margaret

Comment

I wonder whether Archie was viewed as a potential absconder in the mid 1920s, as the addresses shown for the entries in 1925 and 1926 appear to be on the isle of Islay and absconding from there might have been more problematic for him.
            August 26 1925 to farm c/o McPherson, Kilnave, Islay
            January 14 1926 Archie c/o/McPherson, Kilnave Farm, Gruinart, Islay ........ as farm servant to McLellan?, Coulabus Farm, Islay.
            If you Google for 'Index of Placenames for the Isle of Islay', you will see that both Kilnave and Coulabus/Coullabus are in the parish of Kilchoman although I could not find Coulabus/Coullabus on my small map.

No suggestions for COH though.

merleyone

Comment

Crone it was sent to my daughter from probably a home called Quarriers

Thanks Margaret

Merley one - it would seem by 1926 when he was 16, he came to Australia soon after, and married in 1931 and had 3 kids 30, 32, 33 - was gone soon after that - never to be seen again lol

Thanks for identifying those places (I thought it was Italy lol) - I will look them up.

Comment

Couple of links about Quarriers here

It talks of Orphan Homes so I think OCs suggestion for what COH stands for is good although I'm not sure about the C. A couple of the homes in the village began with C so it could be, for example, Cessnock Orphan Home or Craigbet Orphan Home
                Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie, just saw your message on Quarriers - also thanks to Crone & Merleyone

Comment

Working...
                  X