What can I say now????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I say now????

I have got an old photograph album that was my Mum's . One of those with the black pages and all the photos stuck in with the little photo corners. It's held together with a sort of ribbon going through holes punched at the edge of each page.

A few years ago my cousin asked if she could borrow it. She had it some time and I had to ask for it back several times.

About a year ago we were looking for a particular photo of my Mum and one of my Grandparents taken in 1914. Grandad in his Army uniform. I kept saying to my husband I was sure in was in THAT album but must have been mistaken.

Today we visited my Aunt (86) (the cousins Mum and my Mum's sister) and she said 'I've got a photo of my Dad in his army uniform' When she eventually found it I was flabbergasted to see it was a page from my album with the Army photo on one side and the photo of my Mum on the other. I just didn't know what to say and said something about 'Oh they're just the same as the ones I thought were in my album' Straight away she said 'Well I've had them forever, You can copy them if you like.'

Obviously said cousin has taken the page from the album. The holes were torn where the page had been ripped out. Not wanting to upset her I kept quiet.

Now what can I do!!!???

Linda

Linda I would be furious to say the least how dare she ? I would have to approach her and ask why ? she should have asked you if she could copy it .

Comment

I know Val. I am very cross. Trouble is I never see my cousin, she lives in Southampton, I only see my Auntie (her Mum) a couple of times a year.

I think I am am going to phone her and just say 'How come a page from my photo album that you borrowed is now in the possesion of your Mum'?

Linda

Comment

OMG Linda I would be bouncing with temper , but suppose you will have to bite your tongue until photos are back in your procession and then let fly ,,,the cheeky thing
        borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

oh defienently try to get them back before you go off at her!! if you give you her a piece of your mind first, you may never get them back.......i would be so furious!!!

Comment

I think Linda got it back?
            I am always amazed at the cheek of some people, I might have scanned it but not taken it out.
            I could not keep quiet over it and would find it hard to be polite to her.

Comment

i hope she got it back!! my gosh, i would not lend anything after that!

Comment

Just maybe the Auntie helped herself to it if it was left with her.
                I would get them all scanned and give copies to auntie, cousin etc so all are happy. Then i would feel suitably noble and still have my own way
                Angelina

Comment

Why are forum members jumping to conclusions?

What has not been made clear is whether the photos were in the album after her mum had died or whether she remembers them from when she looked through the book when her mum was alive.

In other words could Linda's mum have given the page to her sister?

If the page has been removed after Linda inherited the book then the diplomatic approach would be to say how dissapointing it is that a page has been ripped out of a valued family inheritance.
                  Cheers
                  Guy
                  Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                    Why are forum members jumping to conclusions?

What has not been made clear is whether the photos were in the album after her mum had died or whether she remembers them from when she looked through the book when her mum was alive.

In other words could Linda's mum have given the page to her sister?

If the page has been removed after Linda inherited the book then the diplomatic approach would be to say how dissapointing it is that a page has been ripped out of a valued family inheritance.
                    Cheers
                    Guy

Hi Guy,

The photos were in the album after I inherited it and then I lent it to my cousin.

Didn't look in the album when I got it back and then realized when Auntie showed us the page last week. I was so flabbergasted, and there were other people there, I didn;t want to put her 'on the spot'

I have mentioned it to her now and she said 'Oh I don't know. I'll ask ??????? (my cousin). She is 86 though so I may have to ask her myself. I'll see what happens

Linda
                    Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 24-04-12, 07:07.

Comment

sorry duplicate posting see below.
                      Last edited by JudithM; 24-04-12, 07:19.
                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Oh dear. it looks like cousin has done something sneaky, perhaps she wanted to please her mum with the photo and acted on the spur of the moment, or as mentioned above perhaps auntie took the page when cousin was showing it to her. I'd like to think that afterwards she/they knew they shouldn't have removed the page but couldn't put things right. Agree with Angelina the way forward rather than accuse and risk a family rift, and no return of photo, is to gloss over how the page was removed but talk about how much better the family album would be for all if complete and suggest scanning copies of it (the album rather than just the one page) for all surviving family members. That way she can save face, will see a benefit in returning the page and a family feud is avoided.
                        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                          sorry duplicate posting see below.
                          Ah .. I deleted the duplicate - will put it back. Done it.
                          Caroline
                          Caroline's Family History Pages
                          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

That's a great idea. There are some of my Auntie and Uncle before they married and some of my Auntie holding me as a baby, she would have been 20/21. Obviously there are quite a few of the 'other' side of the family but I would just scan the whole album

Next time I speak to her I will suggest that.

Thanks for you input everyone

Linda

Comment

Working...
                            X