Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to find a record of a Divorce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to find a record of a Divorce?

On Ancestry it uses the title 'Births, Marriages and Divorce' but I can't find any divorces.

Are they there?

If not, how would I find one?

Many thanks

Debs

What sort of date are you looking at Debs. Some are available on the National Archives website.

Useful links research guides:
    Elaine

Comment

About 1911 I think Elaine

Thanks for the link I will have a look now

Debs

Comment

To search the National Archives website - go to this link

Put the name in the word/phrase box, and in the Department/Series code put J77 (which is the NA catalogue code for divorce records)
        Elaine

Comment

divorce records are highly interesting. i have an aunt, and an uncle who both had divorces in the early 20's....both times the wives cheated on the husbands, and i found children i was unaware of.....definently get the records if there are some!!

Comment

Lol! Sounds good

Well a quick look and I can't find them there

I also can't find another marriage for him, perhaps they just ''lived in sin'' as it were!
            Debs

Comment

Divorce was very expensive before WW2 and most ordinary working people couldn't afford it - they just moved on and either committed bigamy or lived in sin.

However, I was extremely surprised to find while researching something else, details of a church fund to provide divorces for working people. I felt that the impetus was to ensure the couple divorced and remarried, rather than just going their separate ways and living in sin and having illegitimate children! I don't know how widespread church-assisted divorces were though.

OC

Comment

Working...
              X