Ann Dudley (Simms) nee Harcourt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ann Dudley (Simms) nee Harcourt

Ann Simms (widow) was of full age when she married for the second time in 1845 to Edward Dudley in the parish church in Sedgley staffs. I am trying to find her first one. Her fathers name was Thomas Harcourt and at the time of the second marriage they were living in Tipton Staffs. I believe that Ann and Mr Simms had a child called John born in 1843 who was born in Tipton according to 1861 census. I am also trying to find his birth.

Help would be appresiated.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 19-04-12, 19:50.

Hello Paul

I think that the best bet for looking for this would be on www.familysearch.org they are adding new data all the time and have alot of info on there.

do you have her 2nd marriage at all? does it mention any witness names?

If she had a child in 1843 you might be lucky in finding a Ref to get the cert, but, it might be that he wasn't registered and was just baptised instead, again, Familysearch is a good place to start.

Do you know where Ann Harcourt was born at all? this might help trying to locate 1st marriage.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Can you give the link or the reference for the 1861 where you found John please?

Margaret

Comment

Have you got Thomas Harcourt on the census at all? what is his occupation?

Margaret

Comment

I can't help with the first marriage Paul but this looks like the scenario -

I take it this is them in 1861 -

John Dudley Simms married Mary Ann Homer - Sept 1960 - Dudley ref 6c 160.
          The most likely birth for John is Jan-March 1844 - John Simms - Dudley ref 18 273.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Was her father a shoemaker Paul? If so, this Thomas Harcourt looks quite promising. I think the wifes name is Nancy, not Ann as transcribed on 1851 census -

1841 -

1851-

Comment

The 1861 Census shows John Simms has middle name Dudley, he may have been birth-registered as Dudley
              Last edited by David of Doncaster; 18-04-12, 23:46.

Comment

Hi there , thanks for the reply. I will try FS I have to get my head round it as its changed slightly. I do have witnesses for her 2nd marriage. I have found a child born in West brom but its the old thing of spending 9.25 and being the wrong child. Ann was born in Tipton so the Census's confirm.

I shall take a look at FS again I never feel that I am using it correctly.

best wishes

Paul

Comment

He was a Cordwainer

Comment

do you know what year she was born Paul?

looking at FS I have found a possible. (3rd one down in list)

Last edited by Darksecretz; 19-04-12, 09:42.
                    Julie

Comment

is this your tree on Ancestry?

Julie

Comment

From looking at the 1861 Census for the Dudley family, John Dudley Simms is with his parents and his wife/child. now, as he has a double barrelled name Dudley Simms this to me indicates that he was born before the marriage in 1845 and that Edward is his father. (ie the Dudley bit, so as to confirm that Edward was the father before marriage).

I guess that you have the family on all Census? 1841-1911?
                        Julie

Comment

can you give us the name of the witness' to Ann/Edwards marriage please.
                          Julie

Comment

Just so folks don't get confused the 'other' thread that mentions this is here..

seems that John Dudley Simms could possibly be the son of Edward Dudley and Ann Simms (nee Harcourt)
                            Julie

Comment

Have a look at this marriage.
                              Search your ancestry with FreeREG. FreeREG provides free online access to transcriptions of birth, marriage and burial records from Church of England and Church of Scotland registers. You can also use FreeREG to discover: non-Conformist records from England, Scotland and Wales, Municipal Cemetary records, Memorial records and documents relating to life events out of country, at sea and in the military.

The brides surname was obviously hard to read but is Ackwood/Arkwood too far removed from Harcourt?
                              Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                                Have a look at this marriage.
                                Search your ancestry with FreeREG. FreeREG provides free online access to transcriptions of birth, marriage and burial records from Church of England and Church of Scotland registers. You can also use FreeREG to discover: non-Conformist records from England, Scotland and Wales, Municipal Cemetary records, Memorial records and documents relating to life events out of country, at sea and in the military.

The brides surname was obviously hard to read but is Ackwood/Arkwood too far removed from Harcourt?
                                Moggie
                                that would certainly fit right Moggie.. what a find! though a look at the original PR (or a copy of the scan) would be good to get hands on with it. Maybe Paul could ask someone or email the Archives to see if they could scan it for him.
                                Julie

Comment

Just found the death of a William Simms transcribed as Simes 1843 Qtr 3 at Dudley.
                                  Moggie

Comment

I'm getting a bit confused with all these threads about the same people but on the other thread (I think it was) I posted some possible census details asking if her father Thomas Harcourt was a shoemaker but he said no. On the marriage above though that's exactly what he is!

I'm sure I also posted the details on one thread of John Simms probable birth and his marriage as John Dudley Simms. Is there another thread as well (making three in all) ?

Ahhhhh found it now - it's reply 4 on the other thread
                                    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 19-04-12, 16:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                      I'm getting a bit confused with all these threads about the same people but on the other thread (I think it was) I posted some possible census details asking if her father Thomas Harcourt was a shoemaker but he said no. On the marriage above though that's exactly what he is!

I'm sure I also posted the details on one thread of John Simms probable birth and his marriage as John Dudley Simms. Is there another thread as well (making three in all) ?
                                      Paul actually said he was a cordwainer which is another word for shoemaker
                                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Oh great Judith, thank you, I hope he sees the two census I posted then on the other thread
                                        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 19-04-12, 16:28.

Comment

Working...
                                        X