Windows 7 - short cuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 - short cuts

1) On my new laptop when ever I create a Shortcut to the desktop and try to use it - I get the following message: 'Application cannot be found'. What am I doing wrong?

Samung, have their own icon on the desktop and that will not open either.

On my Vista desktop I have all sorts of icons for example one we use daily is the Weather Forecast and we just click on it with no problems. Another that I cannot manage without looking at daily is the Donkey Sanctuary. I cannot do this on the laptop same message Application cannot be found.

On my Google Home Page - I cannot get the TABS under the top ribbon to retain the link. If I name one TalkTalk it works fine while the laptop is on but next time I switch on it has disappeared and the TAB is blank.

I think that all I need to do is fine tune this laptop buy how is the question.

Look forward to some advice - many thanks.
    Last edited by Margaret N; 17-04-12, 22:37. Reason: added 'many thanks'
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

I don't know how you are adding your shortcuts, but they work OK for me in Windows7.

Here is how Microsoft say to do it.

Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

What Browser are you using ?

Ken

Comment

Short Cuts

Thank you Wendy a very useful article but it does not help me save an active Web Page with say the Weather forecast at Cowes - while sailing. I will keep working at it.

I am also thinking for another reason to download firefox but their seem to be many versions. n my net book I hCheersave IE8 and my new laptop IE9.

Cheers,
        Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Go to the web page that you would like to have the shortcut to.
          Copy the address from the address bar in your web browser.
          Go to your desk top and right-click then hover over 'new' then select 'shortcut'
          Now paste the shortcut (Crtl + V) and click 'next' label your shortcut.
          Click 'finish'.
          Elaine

Comment

If you want to be able to find a web page quickly, why not place it in your bookmarks?
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Wendy, I have got the web page in my favorites/bookmarks but had always been used to having just particular icons on the desktop. These were to make it easy for my husband to click on with hopefully and instant result. He doesn't beleive in computers - if you know what I mean but does like his weather forecasts when sailing.
              On previous versions MS while the web page was open I would click on the mouse and select 'Send' to desktop and it all happened.
              Elaine, I will also try your suggestion as it seems a good idea and makes sense.
              Thank you Ladies for your help.
              Margaret N

Comment

Working...
              X