Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transcribed as 'Gittla Goodman'

Hello

This is transcribed as Gittla but I think it starts with an S?

Any ideas please?

Many thanks

Debs

Looks like Gittle.
    I have heard of the name Gittel - which I believe is Jewish.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine

Yes they are a Jewish family so the name would fit

Debs

Comment

-la, -le, and -li (like -el) endings often signify diminutives. There may be a "full" version of the name lurking in the background... but I don't know quite what it would be. By that I mean, for instance, Hans (Johannes) becomes "Hansel" or even "Hansl" in its diminutive, and (Mar)grete becomes "Gretel"/"Gretl".

It's not all that different from the way we make diminutive names for baby animals: duck(ling), yearling (for a year-old animal), and so on.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Looks to me like the enumerator has carefully altered it to be as S. Maybe he was as puzzled by the name as we are? If the family had filled in the form themselves he might not have been clear about it.

Anne

Comment

Here's some options for her name: Legal/Hebrew: Gita / Gitl / Guta / Tova Gender: F Legal Origin: < German, Gut 'Good'
            Yiddish: Gite / Gute / Gude
            Yiddish Nickname: Gitele / Gitl / Gitke / Gitle / Gitlye / Gusye / Gutke / Gutl / Gutlye
            Local Secular: Gite
            US Name: Carrie / Clara / Fanny / Geitel / Gertie / Gertrude / Gisela / Gittel / Gladys / Grace / Gussie / Jennie / Kate / Kay

Comment

Thanks all.
              I can't find any trace of her after this census so she either changed her name to something completely different or died, but I can't find a death for her either.

I will keep looking.

Debs
              Last edited by Debbss; 17-04-12, 10:30.

Comment

Wolf and Davis are in an orphanage in 1911 Debbs, so it looks as though they may both have died. Have looked for possible deaths but not found any that make sense I'm afraid.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...3488881&recoff=
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Oh thanks Chrissie.

What a horrid life they seem to have had, poor things :(

Comment

I don't know why but I wondered if this family in 1911 were any relation. They have a Goodman Aaronovitz and a Sarah and the fathers name is Davis and mother Yetta. I had already been searching for a Yetta Goodman(mothers name) in case that could be Gittla (I don't know why).

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Aaronovitz is not a name that has cropped up so far, but I have only just started on these family members so it may well be there somewere.

Comment

Does it say what orphanage? Also, what is the name of the father? I can't see your links but do know of sites where it's possible to find burial details. You may also find that the mother's name was anglicized by then, as per for example, Carrie / Clara / Fanny / Geitel / Gertie / Gertrude / Gisela / Gittel / Gladys / Grace / Gussie / Jennie / Kate / Kay ....unless it was meant to have been Sittla which could be:
                        Legal/Hebrew: Tsetsilya
                        Yiddish: Tsetsilya
                        Yiddish Nickname: Tseshka / Tseske / Tsesya / Tsetlya / Tseyta / Tseyte / Tseytil / Tseytl / Tseytlya / Tsilya / Tsilye
                        US Name: Cecilia / Cilia
                        Last edited by naomiatt; 18-04-12, 07:08.

Comment

The orphanage is:
                          Jews Orphanage and Arnold and Jane Gabriel Home, Knights Hill, West Norwood S E

Woolf and Davis father is Samuel Goodman, b abt 1871 in Poland. They came to the Uk as 'refugees' (My Aunts description) in the late 1800's.She thought from Krakow but I have a birth record for Warsaw.
                          The only other Samuel/Woolf combinations I can find are with 'Rachel' and 'Rebecca' as his wife, Woolf changed his name to 'Willie or William'

Comment

Here’s some info about Norwood http://www.movinghere.org.uk/stories...3/story223.htm.... the Jews' Orphan Asylum merged with the Jews' Hospital, becoming The Jews' Hospital and Orphan Asylum. - 1911 the Arnold and Jane Gabriel Home was built in the orphanage grounds to house the younger children, aged between 5 and 8”. The University of Southampton holds the Jewish Care Archives. They were very helpful to me some time ago and sent me some excellent records. http://www.southampton.ac.uk/library.../archives.html
                            You might find Samuel under Shmuel, Shimon, Simon, Nathan, Edward http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/g...mes/search.htm. It was very common in those times for the wife to be called Annie, Fanny, Sarah, Rebecca, Rosie on records, even if that wasn’t her real name.

I’m not quite sure what you have. Is it Gittla and Samuel (aged about 30 in 1901)with two children, Woolf/William/Willie and Davis showing in 1901 and then the children in a home by 1911 with no sign of their parents? How old were the children in 1911?

Comment

Yes on the 1901 she appears as Gittla (?) with Samuel, him abt 30 her abt 25 , children Sarah, Woolf and Davis. In 1911 Woolf and Davis are in the above orphanage. Woolf I pick up again when he marries May Norwood in 1922, and then their son Isaac Samuel who is my Aunts father.Davis I pick up again In 1918 in the USA.
                              I have nothing more on Sarah yet.

Thanks for the orphanage info, I will follow that up.
                              Last edited by Debbss; 19-04-12, 09:07.

Comment

Working...
                              X