John Thomas Beale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Thomas Beale

Hello I am trying to trace my 4x great grandfather's family in the UK. He was a convict shipped to Tasmania on the Lady Palmira 1846. On his records it is stated that his native place was Newbury and he was a grocer. He was born 1818 and was married to ???? In Tasmania he married Ellen O'Brien from Wicklow Ireland 1828/33 parents John and Ellen. How she came to be in Tasmania is a mystery.

But I was wondering if someone could sight the attachment and advise me who Martha, Thomas, William and Mary Anne might be. Fourth one down. So far I cannot find any record of him in Newbury.

Thank you for any help
    Deb
    Attached Files

Debs, is that image on Ancestry - if so can you give the link or details of the transcription.
    The image is too small to read properly.
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine it is a print screen from a goverment web site in Tasmania but I will check Ancestry and see if I can get a clear copy. Deb

Comment

untitled.jpg I have changed the colour and tried to enhance the writing. I know the names are Martha, Thomas, William, Mary Ann (Sarah?) But the letters just before the names not sure what they are. Maybe W, F, B, & S (Wife or m for mother, father, brother and sister?)

Comment

What is the column heading where their names are entered?
          Margaret

Comment

Tried at the Central Criminal Court, Middlesex on 27th October 1845.
            Moggie

Comment

Newspaper article dated 12th Oct 1845.
              On Wednesday at Marylebone Police court John Thomas Beale, in the service of Messrs Hawes & Co, grocers etc in the New Road was brought up in custody, on a charge of having embezzled various sums of money received by him for and on account of his employers. Two cases were gone into & proved and the prisoner was committed to Newgate for trial.

Newspaper dated 31st Oct 1845.
              John Thomas Beale age 28 was indicted for embezzling & stealing £3 2s & other sums received by him for & on the account of Messrs Hewes & Co to whom he was a clerk. The indictment also charged a prior conviction. The prisoner having been convicted was transported for 7 years.
              Unfortunately the newspaper accounts don't say where he was from or whether he was married by 1845. Note. Messrs Hawes in 1st account & Hewes in 2nd.
              Moggie

Old Bailey account says he stole from Samuel Hewes & another, his masters.
              Last edited by maudarby; 17-04-12, 10:19.

Comment

Hi Margaret it just says Remarks.

Comment

Hi Maudarby thank you for that piece of info could you tell me what newspaper it was in?

thank Deb

Comment

Originally posted by debstaj View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]16234[/ATTACH] I have changed the colour and tried to enhance the writing. I know the names are Martha, Thomas, William, Mary Ann (Sarah?) But the letters just before the names not sure what they are. Maybe W, F, B, & S (Wife or m for mother, father, brother and sister?)
                    I have seen a similar example before, and I think you are correct that it is mother/father/brother/sister(s).
                    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by debstaj View Post
                      Hi Maudarby thank you for that piece of info could you tell me what newspaper it was in?

thank Deb
                      Hi Deb
                      The 1st article was in The Era newspaper,London, England, Sunday, October 12, 1845; Issue 368.
                      The 2nd was in The Times 31st Oct 1845 & also The Morning Post on the same day.
                      Moggie

Comment

Thanks Elaine I pretty sure that is correct but do you think i can find them, nope. Well I will keep looking.

Deb

Comment

?????

is this possible????

from the new familysearch site, taken from the actual Parish Register

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

England and Wales, Non-Conformist Record Indexes (RG4-8)
                          John Beale
                          birth: 14 Jul 1814 Newbury,​ Berkshire
                          parents: William Beale,​ Hannah Beale
                          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Have you seen that there is a John Beale on the 1841, b.ca 1818, not born in county, Prisoner in the House of Corrections, St James, Clerkenwell?????
                            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Working...
                            X