William Trotman and Rose Chambers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Trotman and Rose Chambers

I wonder if anyone could help with this as I have come to a dead end with this family. William Trotman was born in Birmingham in 1869. In 1900 he married Rose Chambers in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Rose was also born in Birmingham. I have no idea why they were in Nova Scotia.

In 1903 they had a son Lionel William Ernest Trotman in Beaumaris, Anglesey. William's occupation is a sargent in the Royal Engineers. I think they had another son George John in 1906. After this I cannot find this family at all, either on the 1901 or 1911 census. Lionel is living with his Aunt, Mary Ann Heath in Birmingham on the 1911 census and was raised in her family. How do I go about finding out what happened to his parents and possible sibling?

Many thanks for any help.

Julie

There is a possible death for George John Trotman in July-Sept 1891 in Portsmouth , Hampshire ref 20 0629. It gives his borth as 16th October 1906 (which would fit) aged 74.
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 15-04-12, 10:02.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
      There is a possible death for George John Trotman in July-Sept 1881 in Portsmouth , Hampshire ref 20 0629. It gives his borth as 16th October 1906 (which would fit) aged 74.
      Should that be 1981 Chrissie?
      Margaret

Comment

Oops - thanks Margaret - have altered it. I'm always getting my centuries mixed up :o

Comment

I think I may have found William's army service records with a discharge in 1906 with the intended address as Beaumaris - off for more detail
          Last edited by herky; 15-04-12, 10:09.
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Do you know when was Rose born Julie? There is a death I wondered about in Southampton, Hampshire in Jan-March 1954 ;) of a Rose Trotman born c1871 aged 83 - ref 6b 677

I think you might be able to discount this one - sorry. In 1911 there is a Rose Trotman born 1871, livinh and born in Winchester Hampshire.
            Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 15-04-12, 10:11.

Comment

Yes - it is the correct man as it lists Lionel and he died 10 March 1906
              oops - edit to day that is NOT the death date - I miss read it - they had a daughter called IVY on that date
              Last edited by herky; 15-04-12, 10:12.
              herky
              Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Please see my error on last mail - sorry about that.
                herky

Comment

I wonder if they emigrated?

Comment

1911 - George John and Ivy are living 17 Green St., Gillingham, Kent (I think) with a Rosetta Trotman and some boarders.
                    Listed as married 12 years, 3 children, 3 living.
                    Now there are some arrows and a scribble that looks like "widow" - I think what it is saying that she should be listed as the head at the top of the page and not in the middle and although she states she is married she has changed it to widowed - could someone else look at the image and let me know what they think.
                    Last edited by herky; 15-04-12, 10:31.
                    herky

Comment

Well done Herky There is a possible death for that Rosetta Trotman in April-June 1918 aged 48, born c1870 - Medway, Kent ref 2a 872.

I can't find them on Ancestry.
                      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 15-04-12, 10:36.

Comment

Just about the type the same death Chrissie - great minds etc
                        herky

Comment

I am working on a possible late marriage for George J in 1955 in Portsmouth. The probable death of the wife Dorothy Teresa Trotman in 2005 in Portsmouth makes her born 18th Feb 1913 and there is a birth that fits her too - Dorothy T Warren reg june 1913 in Portsmouth. No apparent children.

There are 5 people on GR who have George J born 1906 Beaumaris Gwynedd in their tree and 3 of them are named Warren!!
                          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 15-04-12, 10:48.

Comment

Ahhhhhhh I have just noticed that someone who looks like Julie is on GR with Dorothy Warren already in her tree!. Please come back Julie and tell us what you already know.

Comment

Going back to the original posting by Jules65 - she was asking why they married in Halifax NS.
                              In William's army records he is listed as posted to Halifax on 14 November 1895, returning home on 24 October 1901.
                              herky

Comment

Then there is a Rose Chambers arriving in Halifax on1 January 1894 - but the image is terrible and I can't make much of it
                                herky

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                  I am working on a possible late marriage for George J in 1955 in Portsmouth. The probable death of the wife Dorothy Teresa Trotman in 2005 in Portsmouth makes her born 18th Feb 1913 and there is a birth that fits her too - Dorothy T Warren reg june 1913 in Portsmouth. No apparent children.
                                  There is a completely different (possibly!) Trotman family who originated from Alverstoke (i.e. Gosport), so it might not be the same George J.
                                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks UJ

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
                                      I think I may have found William's army service records with a discharge in 1906 with the intended address as Beaumaris - off for more detail
                                      Hi everyone

Gosh you have found SO much information which I have been unable to find. Thank you all so much.

Is it possible for me to have a copy of William's army record? I would love to have it. The only thing I had found out since I posted my original query was the marriage record of William and Rose in Nova Scotia and that his occupation was listed as soldier.

If there was another Trotman family in Wales with a son George John Trotman perhaps William and Rose didn't have a son George. I have been unable to find Ivy anywhere and the cannot find Rosetta with the two children on the 1911 census. I have been looking on Ancestry. I have George's year of birth as 1906 so they couldn't have had Ivy in 1906 as well. This is getting confusing.

The only other thing I have is a postcard from William to his mother in 1906. The date of the postcard is OC16 06. I read this either as Oct 6th 1906 or Oct 16th. It is very hard to read but the transcript is something like this;

The little sh----per arrived this morning a boy. Rose is going on alright at present. I have had the offer of a berth in London (could be India) and as soon as I can get away I shall go up and see about it. I will give you a call if possible as I come back. Rose sends her love to you.

This is what made me think they had another child, a boy, in 1906 and I could only find George John. But now it seems like this may be another family. I have written to the Registry Office before I order the birth certificate for George asking if they could confirm the parents as being William and Rose.

Thanks again everyone for your help. I remember my great uncle Lionel vaugely. My nan lived to be 100 years old and died in 1999. I wish I had asked her more questions (but I bet everyone says that). Her mother brought Lionel up and my nan always thought of him as her brother.

I would love to have his Army record, if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Best wishes.

Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,
                                        I found the Army service record and the census on FM Past.
                                        As for the birth date it is possible that I have misread the date year of 1906/5 - I will check.
                                        The 1911 census does however say she has 3 children but only George John and Ivy are with her.

On the service record = I am still not sure if Ivy was born in 1905 or 6 - could I please ask someone with FMP to check for me.
                                        The service record is for the William Trotman with the Royal Engineers.
                                        It does only list 2 children but perhaps it was just an omission - strange
                                        herky

Comment

Working...
                                        X