Making photographs copyright only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making photographs copyright only

If I wanted to include some photographs into anything written for the internet how do I make the photograph copyright only?

Janet

Most image handling programs allow you to add a watermark to a photo - so you could add a "copyright " watermark across them.

Picassa is one such program - http://support.google.com/picasa/bin...&answer=106193
    Elaine

Comment

That won't stop people copying them though and it will be up to you to pursue them through the courts.

Comment

Thank you! I have no wish to pursue anybody through the courts! I thought there might have been a simple way of encrypting the photo so that it could not be lifted from the internet. I have found some pictures difficult to copy from the internet and wondered how it was done.

I do have Photoshop Elements 8 but could not find a way of encrypting. I did mange to insert a text box on the photo but was then not able to write in the text box!

I will have a look at the software from Picassa.

Janet
        Last edited by Janet; 14-04-12, 17:14.

Comment

Janet,

there should be plenty of tutorials out there for Elements 8 and 'watermarking' is what they call it, where you add the copyright symbol.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

You do find images that do not have a "right click/save" option but of course there is no way of stopping someone doing a screenshot and copying the image that way.
            Elaine

Comment

Thanks as always for your sound advice.

Elaine,

I never thought of that one!

Julie

I will have another look at the Elements 8 software. I was trying to do it in a hurry but that does not always work!! At least I now know it is called Watermarking. You learn something new every day on here.

Janet
              Last edited by Janet; 14-04-12, 17:47.

Comment

I have a public tree on Ancestry and crop photos to a small portrait so that others can help themselves to a little something without the full photo. Would this work for you?

Comment

Jill

That sounds an excellent idea, but how do you manage that?

Janet

Comment

I make a jpeg copy of my original scan then open it in Microsoft Picture Manager crop it, save, and upload the cropped version.

Comment

Jill,

Thank you Jill. I will try that. Something else hopefully mastered!!

Janet

Comment

I have seen some phtographs on a tree in Ancestry that look fine but if you try to copy them they pixilate and are worthless.. this may be the system that Jill has used... I had permission from the site owner but maybe he did not know it would not work

Comment

Colin

Thank you. Yes that would be the way to go as I have noticed myself when messing around with my own pictures, if you go too far they do pixilate. Interesting because although I knew this I did not think to apply it to photographs on the internet! Ah well, this site keeps the old brain cells ticking

Janet
                          Last edited by Janet; 15-04-12, 11:06.

Comment

Originally posted by colin taylor View Post
                            I have seen some phtographs on a tree in Ancestry that look fine but if you try to copy them they pixilate and are worthless.. this may be the system that Jill has used... I had permission from the site owner but maybe he did not know it would not work
                            I have seen some on a tree on ancestry where I have tried to add them to my tree and get told they are private and need permission to copy so there must be a setting on there that allows you to block anyone without permission to copy your photos.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                              I have seen some on a tree on ancestry where I have tried to add them to my tree and get told they are private and need permission to copy so there must be a setting on there that allows you to block anyone without permission to copy your photos.

Margaret
                              Not really effective. Simple way around any such blocking is to press 'print screen' on your keyboard, open up paintshop or similar and paste from the clipboard. Then crop the image so that it's just the photo.

One way to watermark is to open another layer, type your text in white right across the image. Then make the layer 30% or so visible. Then merge the two layers. Save the file in a different name!
                              Last edited by keldon; 15-04-12, 17:37.
                              Phil
                              historyhouse.co.uk
                              Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Phyll,

Thank you. I will have to play around with a that suggestion.

Janet

Comment

Working...
                                X