20th century 6th battalion, royal artillery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20th century 6th battalion, royal artillery

my grandfather was in the 6th battalion of the royal artillery during the 1950's and early 1960's. he served in malaya. i have got his army records, but apart from him having chicken pox and measles before signing up, there is nothing for a medical history. he claimed on his death bed he was grazed by a bullet on his forehead. now gran scoffs at this, but he did have a scar on his forehead she can't explain. i was hoping maybe war diaries might be available, to see if some of the stories are true, but i suspect the army still has them for that period? can anyone enlighten me?

The diaries might be at Kew but even if they are, it would be a mammoth search as you don't have a date, and it might well not be mentioned anyway! It would be best to get his Army records.
    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I rang them some time ago about my Father's which I received ,and they told me the medical history would not be suppied for records from the second world war? maybe its a privacy thing?

Comment

that's interesting val. well we had to send his death cert in, so it's not like he's privacy is at stake? he signed a sheet saying he was never sick or injured, but still, there should be something in there.

Comment

why dont you give them a ring Kyle they are very helpful.

Comment

that's a good idea val.

Comment

There may not be any detail on any injury though. I sent off for a WW2 service record which stated that the man had been in hospital, with dates, but no reason why.
              The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
              Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

i get the impression they were less detailed after WWI. or maybe the aussie records are more detailed than british ones.

Comment

Working...
                X