Irish Mariners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Mariners

Hi folks - very new to FTF but looking for a bit of help if possible. I have a copy of my Great grandfathers (William John Baird) birth record (1870 in Ireland) and on there it shows his father (also William Baird) as a Sea Captain. I also have a copy of William Johns death record (1940 Scotland) and on there the father is shown as a Master Mariner. Is anyone aware of any records that I might be able to search to try to find more information on this possible seafarer. I have tried various searches on the internet so far but come up with no obvious routes to take.
    Any help/advice appreciated.

Gerry

look in the reference library on here.
    gives you some info on mariners. hope it helps.
    Jan x

Comment

National Archves at Kew are worth searching for records, also Greenwich Libary but there are very few records at Kew. Newfoundland have most of the records but to access these you need to know the ships your ancestor sailed on. Google for Mariners for the Newfoundland website. I have a few Scottish mariners myself and I have found more information by homng in on the areas where these people are born. The Mitchell Library at Glasgow can be a mine of information. I have mariners from Tulliallan and this place has its own website as there are so many mariners there.

Janet

Comment

Working...
      X