GRO Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRO Survey

Today the GRO e mailed me asking me to complete a survey.
    The majority of questions were about Social Networking sites and Family History sites and how often do I order certs and questions as to how deeply into Family History I was, but I got the impression they were interested in Facebook Twitter and so on and if we critisisted Companies like theirs on network sites and would I use their site if they went network.

It is going to be confidential no names or details saved
    They seem to have Family Tree Forum down as Forum Family Tree and mentioned Rootschat too as well as GR and others.

Edna

so what is it their after do you think? trying to figure out how useful they can be, or maybe if they should using social networking?

Comment

I should think it is possibly about dragging themselves into the 21st century and trying to become all trendy and modern by using such sites as Facebook etc.

Personally, I think that would be a waste of public money and time - no one goes to the GRO to be ENTERTAINED, fgs - you go to order a certificate, nothing else and their present site is perfectly adequate for that purpose.

OC

Comment

Agree wholheartedly OC. There may be others like me too who aren't on Facebook, Twitter etc and wouldn't find out about anything going on.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

would b interesting if they used such platforms to see what it is people think they could improve on. if they've been googling family history societies and forums, then it may be somethiong bigger than announcing things.

Comment

Why would they care what people think though? they are not a profit making company and all they have to do is to deliver a service to a certain standard - as far as i can see, they already do that. they aren't aiming to be "popular". I think its just some trendy market research rubbish instigated by our caribng sharing leaders, lol.

I hate Facebook, it frightens the wits out of me and I cannot negotiate the site. I would be VERY annoyed if a government body like GRO hosted a Facebook page to tell the user stuff that ought to be n their official site where it belongs. If they are so desperate to know what we are all saying about them behind their back, then they could have a feedback button the site they already have.

Although I'm no longer a paying member of GR, it makes me die laughing that GR has a Facebook page to tell GR members what's going on! How utterly barmy is that (although of course, GR is a profit-making business, unlike the GRO)

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              ... it makes me die laughing that GR has a Facebook page to tell GR members what's going on! How utterly barmy is that
              GR is not alone in this. Most of the genealogy websites have FB pages, Ancestry.co.uk, Ancestry.com, Findmypast, The Genealogist, Family Search, British Newspaper Archive, Docklands Ancestors, Federation of Family History Societies, Guild of One Name Studies .. to name but a few. By following their pages you get instant notification of "what's new" - no need to visit their sites to see what is being added - it all comes up on your own FB page ... instant reporting! It's a bit like subscribing to RSS feeds from these sites and receiving updates in the same way.
              Nothing barmy about that!
              Elaine

Comment

It wouldn't be much use to ME though elaine, as most of the time I cannot find my own FB .

I just think this is a totally unnecessary, wasteful use of public money (and the time of public servants). What is going to happen on the GRO site so urgently that it cannot wait until the user requires to, um, use the site, lol.

OC

Comment

I agree. I can't see the point of the GRO using FB to publicise what it does and I don't think public time or money should be spent in that way.

I think it is different for commercial companies - they use it as a means advertising.
                  Elaine

Comment

Working...
                  X