Can find Banns but not Marriage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can find Banns but not Marriage?

I don't know if anyone can help me but Samuel John W Acton 26th May 1883 Devonport must have married Beatrice Eleanor Luckes 16th June 1886 Stoke Damerel as they had children together.

Samuel sailed to Quebec in 1906, I found this on the Canadian Passengers List Ancestry. in 1907 Samuel and Beatrice had banns read at St Michaels Church, Devonport (now part of Plymouth) Devon I found this on Find My Past. But I cannot find a marriage.

In 1909 and 1910 they had Edith and Murial in Alberta, Canada. In 1911 they had Leonard and were living back in Devonport and on the 1911 Census that is how I know Edith and Murial were born in Canada.

Apart from Samuel sailing to Quebec on his own as far as I can see, I cannot find the family toing and froing from England to Canada.

Would someone have banns read and then not marry, I had always assumed before finding the banns they met and married in Canada even though they are both from Devonport. Could banns be read if the prospective groom is not in this country?

It has been a puzzle for quite a while made worse by recently finding the banns I think?

Thanks in advance for any help received.

thats odd there is a marriage for a Beatrice E Luck ?? in 1911 Elham Kent to a Samuel Hood ? but cannot find one for your couple

Comment

Yes it is odd and it is annoying me now. Especially since I found the banns they went to the trouble of having them read and then what? Why did they keep going to Canada and then returning that seems odd too, it can't have been cheap? It is a real riddle.

Comment

The banns had to be read in both parties' parishes (if they lived in different ones), so it's possible that they were married in a parish whose records aren't online yet.

Comment

Perhaps they were married in a church in Canada and the banns were read in both churches (here and there). Strange that you can't find Beatrice going to Canada though!

Anne

Comment

Mary I have the Devon Family History CD's of the Plymouth Marriages and they are not on either or on the GRO Index so I think maybe they didn't marry in this country.

Anne Yes maybe they did marry in Canada seems strange all round though. I will keep searching to see if I can find Beatrice going to Canada.

Thank you Val, Mary and Anne.

Jill

Comment

Working...
            X