Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone find the Green Man Inn Barnet on the 1861 census please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone find the Green Man Inn Barnet on the 1861 census please?

Hi All

My 3x great grandfather Charles Wright Edward Jones was definitely a pub landlord. I have his daughter's birth certificate that confirms he was the Inn Keeper to the Green Man Inn, Barnet, Hertford/Middlesex. A little more digging and I find the Green Man Inn was at 134 High Street, Barnet, South Mimms and has a census reference of RG9/789/47, but I just can't seem to find him or the address anywhere.

I found a good website www.deadpubs.co.uk and there was some good information on there that I have added to.

Rather annoyingly he married just 10 days after the 1861 census so his wife is still with her own family.

Any help or advice on how to track him down would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead.
    Carokers

Originally posted by Carokers View Post
    Hi All

My 3x great grandfather Charles Wright Edward Jones was definitely a pub landlord. I have his daughter's birth certificate that confirms he was the Inn Keeper to the Green Man Inn, Barnet, Hertford/Middlesex. A little more digging and I find the Green Man Inn was at 134 High Street, Barnet, South Mimms and has a census reference of RG9/789/47, but I just can't seem to find him or the address anywhere.

I found a good website www.deadpubs.co.uk and there was some good information on there that I have added to.

Rather annoyingly he married just 10 days after the 1861 census so his wife is still with her own family.

Any help or advice on how to track him down would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead.
    Carokers
    Where did you get the census ref from? Do you mea you have found the Green Man but Charles wasn't there, or found Barnet but the address you have wasn't covered? Have just looked at RG9/789 folio 47 and although it includes a Green Man inn it seems to be in High Road Finchley not High Street Barnet or South Mimms.
    Last edited by JudithM; 10-04-12, 21:26.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

The census reference of RG9/789/47 does not seem to match up with South Mimms!
      Can you give the date and place of birth for Charles Wright Edward Jones?
      Elaine

Comment

Barnet and South Mimms are two different places (I know this cos I lived in Barnet for years, but never lived in South Mimms, lol).

Also - The Green Man was and still is a very popular name for a pub and I should think there was one in every parish.

OC

Comment

Sorry Judith I got so excited finding any Green Man I didn't realise I had moved up from South Mimms! I was looking at http://yourarchives.nationalarchives...reet_Index_P-R

The address I copied from deadpubs.co.uk - it is in fact 143 HIgh Street (an Estate Agent) now but was 4 High Street, Barnet, South Mimms in 1881.

Sorry for confusion I think my eyes need a rest.
          :+

Comment

This seems to be the Green Man in South Mimms in 1871 - RG10; Piece: 1331; Folio: 149; Page: 54;

- but I can't find the corresponding property in 1861
            Elaine

Comment

HI Elaine

Not really the poor bloke didn't seem to know himself. I think he was adopted or employed at a very young age. HIs guardians seemed to think Chelsea in 1851, in 1871 he said Ireland/Wales, in 1881 and 1891 he said Much Hadham, (which is where he was in 1851) . He died in 1896.

On the marriage record I saw it stated his father as Edward Jones (licenced victualler), but I don't see how he could have known that from what I have seen.

Found a birth record for Charles Jones Dec qtr 1839 Kensington. Fair chance this could be him.

I have ordered his marriage cert now to see if this sheds some light.

Many thanks and sorry for confusion.

Comment

HI Olde Crone Holden

I wouldn't have a clue I am just copying what's in front of me (nearly!). Boundaries do change and I don't even know what county it is in today.

Cheers
                C

Comment

Have a look at http://www.pbhistory.co.uk/ which mentions The Green Man, if the same pub, and includes info on South Mimms, also, the Brookmans Park Newsletter has a forum which includes historical questions..

Comment

Originally posted by Carokers View Post

I have ordered his marriage cert now to see if this sheds some light.
                    Ooh ... NO!!
                    Do you have a subscription to Ancestry - the marriage certificate is available on there!!!

Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                      Ooh ... NO!!
                      Do you have a subscription to Ancestry - the marriage certificate is available on there!!!

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...6&recoff=7+8+9
                      Oh.... bother!!! I couldn't see the wood for the trees in the end. Many thanks for your help though.
                      C

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                        This seems to be the Green Man in South Mimms in 1871 - RG10; Piece: 1331; Folio: 149; Page: 54;

- but I can't find the corresponding property in 1861
                        Hi Elaine
                        Many thanks indeed for your efforts, this may explain why I can't find him anywhere in 1861. It must be part of the missing third, how annoying.

I'll see if I can find another route to him.

Thanks again
                        C

Comment

You should find info here http://www.pbhistory.co.uk/ and also lots in British History On Line on South Mimms...as previously mentioned, the Brookmans Park newsletter has a history section to it as well and covers South Mimms, as does the Potters Bar Newsletter. I would think the pub may have been part of a manor at some time.

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
                            You should find info here http://www.pbhistory.co.uk/ and also lots in British History On Line on South Mimms...as previously mentioned, the Brookmans Park newsletter has a history section to it as well and covers South Mimms, as does the Potters Bar Newsletter. I would think the pub may have been part of a manor at some time.
                            Hi Naomiatt

Sorry I didn't spot your post earlier, but thanks a lot for the pointer. It is a very informative and professional website. I have emailed them to see if they have any info on the Green Man. I would love to visit the area one day.

Thanks again

Comment

It's lovely round there...my oh knows it very well. Let us know how you get on.

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
                                It's lovely round there...my oh knows it very well. Let us know how you get on.
                                Naomi, I agree. I have just had a wonder around the White Hart Inn and up the road to St. Giles where my 2x Great Grandfather was buried. And it didn't cost a penny - good old Google.

Comment

Working...
                                X