Does this marriage exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this marriage exist?

Samuel E Keen born 1839 Bethnal Green a Twine Spinner or Rope Maker Here he is in 1861

cannot find him either single or married in 1871 or his marriage to a Jane born abt 1840 in Shoreditch they are married in the 1881 Census?
    here they are in 1881

Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 10-04-12, 20:08.

I have to go now Val and I haven't had time to research this thoroughly but thought I would mention what I've found so far as a vague possibility. There is a marriage in June 1865 in Bethnal Green 1c 612 but he is just listed as Samuel Keen and a female missing on the page. There is also a Jane Amelia Elsen listed under the same details with a man missing on the page. I couldn't find a birth for Jane Amelia under Elsen but I looked for Jane Amelia births from Sept 1837 to Dec 1840 and there is a Jane Amelia Easom born Sept 1840 St Pancras ref 1 234 that I thought looked similar. I haven't had time to look for possible deaths/marriages for this lady though but didn't want to go without getting it down in case.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

p.s. Couldn't resist a quick look but cant see a death or marriage for this lady.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
        I have to go now Val and I haven't had time to research this thoroughly but thought I would mention what I've found so far as a vague possibility. There is a marriage in June 1865 in Bethnal Green 1c 612 but he is just listed as Samuel Keen and a female missing on the page. There is also a Jane Amelia Elsen listed under the same details with a man missing on the page. I couldn't find a birth for Jane Amelia under Elsen but I looked for Jane Amelia births from Sept 1837 to Dec 1840 and there is a Jane Amelia Easom born Sept 1840 St Pancras ref 1 234 that I thought looked similar. I haven't had time to look for possible deaths/marriages for this lady though but didn't want to go without getting it down in case.

It doesn't look like that marriage, Chrissie, unfortunately:

Name: KEEN, Samuel
        Registration district: Bethnal Green
        County: London
        Year of registration: 1865
        Quarter of registration: Apr-May-Jun
        Volume no: 1C
        Page no: 612
        Pontin, Charlotte
        Warner, Emma
        Dodd, Alfred
        Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 10-04-12, 21:17.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Thanks Elizabeth Back to the drawing board tomorrow then if nothing is found in the meantime

Comment

is that you snoring Chrissie ? thanks for trying and thanks Elizabeth

Comment

Just for clarification, the 1865 marriage was Samuel KEEN to Emma WARNER.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Is there any reason to suppose that the Jane to whom he is married is different from the 21-yr-old Jane NIXON, b Bethnal Green, who seems to be in the same 1861 household with a 1-yr-old daughter, also called Jane? At this stage, there's no proff, of course, but it would be worth trying it out?

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've had a go at looking, but not had any joy, I'm afraid. I daren't spend any more time - supposed to be getting ready to go on holiday!

Christine

Comment

Thanks Christine yes I did see her but couldn't find a marriage ? some people on Ancestry have him marrying a Jane Sarah Parsons? but cannot find a marriage for her either ?
                    Are you going somewhere nice ? have a lovely time.

Comment

Well looks like Christine was right about the Jane Nixon ? but still cannot find a marriage am beginning to think they never married .
                      Found her with her daughter also Jane and Samuel in 1871
                      Last edited by Guest; 12-04-12, 10:06.

Comment

I can't see a likely marriage for them either Val, can you?

Comment

no Chrissie I did wonder if they married a lot later on they seem to change their name from Keen to King too ? thanks for trying.

Comment

Glad to see you're making some progress - if step-by-step, and accompanied by queries!

We're in France at the moment. Stayed in a great hotel in the Champagne area last night, and have a couple of nights here, just to the east of Grenoble, before driving on to the Piedmont, in northern Italy. We have a few nights in Italy, before travelling back up through France, with a longish stay at our friends' B&B almost on the Dordogne.

Christine

Comment

making me jealous Christine ,yes made quite a bit of progress have got Janes death ,now am adding the 7 kids I have found so far and their records .

Comment

Working...
                              X