Burial Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burial Confusion

I have been trying to find the death of William Farrow, b 1817 in South Shields, Durham for some time (I have posted about him before, but no-one could find anything). Searching on the IGI today in I found an entry for William Farrow died in Monkwearmouth, buried on 27 November 1854. I found the image for this burial (unfortunately this is not my man) on the IGI, but I cannot find any mention of him at all on Ancestry, FreeBMD or even the indexes for 1854 themselves. The indexes actually appear to have been badly transcribed if you look at them on Ancestry and compare them to the transcriptions underneath. (Certainly for "F" in that year/Quarter)

If this one cannot be found, would there be others - or am I missing something? I know birth registration was a bit hit and miss for a while but did the same apply to deaths?
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

do you know roughly when he died as there are a few on FMP

Comment

The last I have of him is the 1851 census, with his wife and 2 children

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...513058_kpidz0q

Class: HO107; Piece: 2399; Folio: 609; Page: 45; GSU roll: 87077.

Son William dies in Mar 1851, and another son, also christened William in born in Mar 1851. There is also an older son, Thomas b.1843. I have Thomas and Mary Jane onwards (In 1861 they are with Grandparents and uncle respectively) and son William from 1871, but the parents seem to vanish after 1851. Also haven't found a death for Phillis.

Thanks
      Linda

Comment

not having much luck with Phillis

Comment

I think I have found Phillis - here in 1871

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...z0q26pgz0q3d32

It looks like she remarried in 1852 in Wigan, but for some reason used her maiden name again. William Farrow jr. is most likely the William F Kendrick on this census - in 1872 he married, using the name William Farrow, and his wife is the Jane Brown currently boarding with them. Phillis seems to have abandoned her other 2 children. She died in 1892. But why use her maiden name if she is a widow?
          Last edited by ozgirl; 10-04-12, 17:52.
          Linda

Comment

Ooh, just double checked, and Robert Kendrick, hubby no. 2 was the lodger with the Farrows in 1851!
            Linda

Comment

clever you Linda I gave up

Comment

Still haven't found Williams death though - but if she ran off with the lodger in 1852, married him and had a child in Wigan, but then came back to Durham by 1857 when she had another child, I'm presuming that William must have been dead by then, or else he might have complained!
                Linda

Comment

Maybe she was confused too

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NNJ4-S27
                  Linda

Comment

The marriage has been transcribed on the Lancs OPC site.

OPC, Online Parish Clerk, family history, local history, free data, parish registers, census, Lancashire

She was a "widow of Scholes" and gave her father as William Farrow, mariner
                    Jackie

Comment

I wonder whether that has been mistranscribed and it should say miner instead of mariner.

Robert and Phillis had a son baptised on 27th January 1853 (Robert)
                      Jackie

Comment

That's interesting Jackie - definitely some fudging going on. William was actually a miner.
                        Linda

Comment

Working...
                        X