WorKhouse records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WorKhouse records

Can anyone tell me what sort of information I will find in the workhouse records at the somerset records office .

I am against a brick wall with my Aunt Vera Eleanor Taylor Born 24/03/1916 I have birth for her and marriage certificate to a William White B 1891 in April 1945.
    There was no parents listed for him just his age and occupation as a porter in the workhouse .

After this marriage there was a family falling out and nobody knows what happened to them where they went or if they had any children . My mother wanted to find her many years ago but came up with nothing now she herself has died I would like to know if she had a family and where she went Of course there is a small possability she is still alive at 96 who knows . She has one surviving brother who knows nothing as he was away at the time what ever it was happened .

I was hoping that I may find some clues to William in the records of the workhouse if he had a family maybe he went there . Anyone have any other ideas .
    Thanks Jilly

I can't answer your question but generally some places have a 100 year privacy rule.
    I accessed a relative's asylum records a few years back but was only allowed the ones more than 100 years old.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thank You I did wonder about that .

Comment

would the children have been born in Somerset?

Comment

there is a William Mark White born abt 1893 in Poplar a Porter living in Stepney in 1911?

Comment

He's only William on the marriage ref Val.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

oh thought she said he was William White but no fathers name ?

Comment

Sorry, I'm confused. If he was a porter in the workhouse then it is employment records you are looking for, surely? Also, the workhouse system had finished by 1945.

OC

Comment

Sorry Val - I meant William White - not William Mark White. I thought you would guess the White bit

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    Sorry, I'm confused. If he was a porter in the workhouse then it is employment records you are looking for, surely? Also, the workhouse system had finished by 1945.

OC
                    I agree about the employment records, not workhouse OC but he could possibly have put Porter in a workhouse if it was really a Public Assistance Institution - see this link -
                    Explore the history of British workhouses, along with an in-depth look at ten locations linked with the provision of state-provided relief to Britain's poor.

Comment

oops sorry Chrissie I am not with it today

Comment

Yes, I see what you mean Chrissie. Also, he may have been a porter for a long time, back to the time when it WAS the Workhouse.

I should think the family falling out might have been due to the difference in their ages perhaps!

OC

Comment

Oh yes, he'd be 54 when they got married. I wonder if he had been married before? With a name like White though and not even knowing where he was born etc it would be probably be an impossible task.
                          I don't suppose the witnesses at the wedding helped Jilly?

p.s. Yes OC, absolutely, he may even have been a hospital porter really. Did you notice that when they were turned into hospitals it said that people didn't like going into hospital because they still thought of them as the workhouse.
                          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 10-04-12, 18:46.

Comment

Chrissie

Yes, even today many older people where i live will not go to the local cottage hospital because it used to be the workhouse. Also, they spent millions on the workhouse in Truro to turn it into OP's flats and no one would go there! One local man said that he was five years old when he and his mother went through the workhouse gates together and he never saw her again - why would he want to go and live there now?

OC

Comment

vera e. taylor married white, june qtr 1945, taunton.

a vera e. white married william d. king in june qtr 1946, taunton.
                              there is an ethel vera king b.24 dec 1916, d.jan 2003, norwich norfolk. age 86.

but i can't see a likely death for william, unless he died in frome district in sep 1945 b.1894?

Comment

Sorry have no idea even if they had children.This one is a real mystery that none talked about .
                                My view as well that the vast age difference could have been a major factor he was the same age as Veras Father another factor could have been , the fact that her mother died 4th March 1945 and she married 10th April 1945 .

I have only got as far as the marriage no one ever talked about her , i never knew until my mother died and my sister asked me to help look . There is not mention of middle name Just William White . Thanks for all your comments . wish we could see the census for the 50s LOL

Regards Jill
                                Last edited by Somerset Jilly; 11-04-12, 15:34.

Comment

Apologies to Chrissie and you all I lied lol
                                  William White, age 54 Bachelor, Porter Institution, residence The Lodge North Street . No Fathers name .
                                  I got the certificate out and checked after reading Chrissies comment
                                  Witness George Batstone and Vera Bracher as far as i could find both deceased .

Comment

Lol Jilly Those witnesses could just have been plucked off the street if the family had cast her out I'm afraid.

Comment

Kyle's post 15 above looks good and is worth investigating I should think.

OC

Comment

I thought that too OC when I found the same earlier. I didn't mention it (remiss of me - sorry) because I had looked for any likely looking children and, although there were a couple in the south, with names like King and mmn Taylor or white I couldn't find any that I thought worth mentioning. The only matches for any of the names on GR didn't appear to have the other people as well either.
                                        As you say though, definitely worth another try
                                        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 12-04-12, 09:33.

Comment

Working...
                                        X