'the resolution'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'the resolution'

found this on the national archives: 'Will of James Buckenham belonging to the Resolution . 1693' curiosity has me now! what is th resolution? is it supposed to be a ship?

Yes it was!

Chris
    Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

thanx chris, how interesting! surprised how many there were!

Comment

Ship names are continually reused in the Royal Navy. I work in a Shipyard, building submarines and we build the last HMS Resolution back in the 1960s. She was the first of the R-class boats.
        The battle honours board on a ship or submarine will carry the names of all battles that ships bearing that particular name have been involved in.
        Last edited by Helen Smith Too; 11-04-12, 20:42.
        Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

doesn't it make it harder to distinghuish them if they use the same names? specially for history purposes?

Comment

When searching for your particular seaman/mariner you generally know what years to look for so if there
            are more than one ship of that name they are not in service at the same time (I think I am right in saying).

You are lucky if you know the ship that is not always the case though.

Comment

thanx for that. i don't think the guy is related, but it caught my eye. the things you learn, surprise me ahaha.

Comment

No, 2 ships of the Royal Navy would not have the same name at the same time. An example is Nelson's flagship, HMS Victory. That's never been decommissioned so there hasn't been another HMS Victory since then. The nearest is HMS Victorious, another submarine.
                Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Working...
                X