Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the 'road side' 18th century london

here's the christening of george shaw in 1762, whitechapel:

it says the residence is 'by the road side'. is this literally on the road, or is this like a street, or pub or something? the child underneath has the same address.

kyle

I would think they were of no fixed abode.

Comment

how interesting maybe he was a travelling Vicar ??

Comment

Why do you think he was a travelling Vicar? The parents most likely just went to the nearest church to have the child baptised.

OC

Comment

thought maybe if people didn't come to him he went to them ? like when I was a kid and the Sundy School came to our flats every sunday ? that was said tongue in cheek OC ;)

Comment

Well yes, of course, he MIGHT just have happened to pass them on the roadside and asked them if the baby had been christened, but I still think it more likely that they went to the church of their own accord to have the baby christened - there was a (material) advantage to having a child christened in those days.

OC

Comment

The Roadside was actually the name of a road in MEOT and I can remember asking the same question some time ago!

I have also seen a theory that it was originally the name given locally to houses on the north side of the Whitechapel/Mile End Road, but I don't know where that idea comes from.

But it is confusing the way they always write it as "by the roadside"!
              Last edited by Sue from Southend; 08-04-12, 17:33.
              Sue

Comment

Oh, lol!

OC

Comment

oh sue, marvellous! i had wondered!

Comment

I've been looking at early London maps trying to pin point "Road Side" (for me, as much as for you!) and found it here on an 1860's map.http://www.mappalondon.com/london/no...t/mile-end.jpg it's on the north side of Mile End Road just above the "L" of Mile End. which reinforces the other theory about it stemming from local slang. I can't find it written on any earlier map but this one from 1775 http://mapco.net/bowles1775/bowles08_02.htm shows that there were houses in the same place then.....
                    Last edited by Sue from Southend; 09-04-12, 08:03.
                    Sue

Comment

yes i understand sue. i had wondered if it was a pub/hotel or something. i'm not even sure it's my ancestor, but it caught my attention. the family seemed to have wealth in the 18th century, but i don't know if this family were. i wouldnt think wealthier families would be from the east end? was under the impression they were all artisans and tradesmen.

Comment

If you look at the earlier map you'll see how rural that area still was. The East End was initially a place wealthier people from the City moved to to escape the smells, noise etc of London. There is a brief article here http://eastlondonhistory.com/mile-en...-first-suburb/ It was in the 19th Century that the poverty crept eastwards.

I've just ordered the book reviewed in that article from the library as it looks quite interesting!
                        Last edited by Sue from Southend; 09-04-12, 08:34.
                        Sue

Comment

that was interesting sue. i had no idea about any of that!

Comment

Have found this very interesting, next door to Road Side is Bank Side, would love to know how they got the names. Was born in Mile End Rd so its intriguing.

Comment

Working...
                            X