Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edmund Prier possibly b1818 in Gt Bookham Surrey - nephew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edmund Prier possibly b1818 in Gt Bookham Surrey - nephew?

Sorry I haven't been around for a while but family ersearch had to take aback seat for a bit. I'm now back in the saddle (ish) and have come across a conumdrum that I would like some help with if possible. I'm doing my father's side of the family - the Cozens - which come with the added problem of the different spellings. Using my father's hand written tree from the 1970s which appears to have correct information - if in the wrong place - it shows below a set of Cozens parents - Samuel Cozens m Ann Bugg (correct) then on the same line it shows a daughter m a Mr Prier. Under this copule it shows an Edmund, Agnes and Samuel. In my Gt Gt grandfather's (1788 - 1869) Samuel Cozens' will of 1869 Edmund Prier is an Executor and the relationship is down as nephew. He is left £5 to buy to ring. Now this is where I need help. To me a nephew is either the son of one of your own siblings or the son of your wife's siblings. Could/Would the term nephew be used in any other way? The reason I ask is that I can only find my 2xgt grandfather with brothers but I'm beginning to think that quite possibly the top of the tree is the most suspect. There are definitley Bugg sisters - Eleanor (m twice: first Mr Bacon in the late 1790s but can't locate it, then James Wagstaff on 6 Feb 1815 at St Mary's Newington with Samuel as a witness, Thamar (spinster), Mary and another two unnamed sisters. The Buggs seem to come from Parham in Suffolk. Any help gratefully received - even if it is to tell me to stop asking silly questions!
    Many thanks Bo
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

i guess he could be a grand nephew? i don't know if they distinghuished the types of relative. it appears a man left a will in the 1850's mentioning his 'second' cousins, but we are unsure if that term was used at the time.

i would ask if you have all the grandchildren of your ancestor's siblings.

Comment

Sometimes people referred to relatives as nephew or niece for ease when otherwise it would be difficult to describe the relationship or when in fact there was none but the people concerned had been on close terms.

In this case though are you saying that Edmund was really a grandson?

Also if someone is shown on the same line as others it means surely that they are siblings or cousins rather than parents /child. So who is the person who married Mr Priers? Is she a sister of Samuel or a daughter?

Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret - that is the nub of the question - I'm not sure who married Mr Prier - it is on the line that would suggest it was Samuel's sister - but I've only found brothers of Samuel. On the same line on the other side it had a daughter marrying a Mr Albery - when I got to the bottom of that one it was actually Amelia Eleanor Bacon - a niece of Samuel's wife Ann Bugg - who married Mr James Albery the dramatist so you can possibly understand my reticence at taking the term "nephew" at face value!

If I am looking for a true nephew then I am looking for a female Cozens or Bugg marrying a Mr Prier - which I can't find yet.
        Bo

Comment

Whereabouts are your Cozen family from? I am looking at trees on ancestry where the name Edmund Prier shows up b1818 in Bookham Surrey. Is that your tree?

Margaret

Comment

No I haven't added Edmund Prier to my Cozens tree as I don't really know where he fits in - all the info I've found about him is tucked away in the shoebox. I hadn't noticed him in other trees. I'll go and investigate. I don't suppose there are any Bugg or Cozens appearing???
            Bo

Comment

My 2xg Gt Grandfather Samuel Cozens in the census consistently states Epsom Surrey as his place of birth.
              Bo

Comment

According to familysearch there is an Edmund Prier b c1797 who married Mary Orgles on 2/12/1816 in Gt Bookham and amonst their seven children are Edmund Agnes & Samuel. Can't see any connection for Mary to your family names though. I wonder if there is any connection with Edmund junior's wife. I'll look for his marriage now.

Comment

I've found Edmund with wife Mary Jane on the 1871 census, a matching marriage is in 1869 to Mary Jane Rathbone. However, I'm thinking this might be a second marriage as there is a previous marriage in 1849 with a choice of spouse. As yet, I haven't found Edmund on the 1851 or 1861 census to see if he had a previous wife.

Comment

The tree on ancestry with Edmund b1818 in it has a daughter Sarah b1853 but mother unknown and the marriage in 1869 is shown as to Mary Jane Rawbone (spelling error as in a comment on the tree the name is Rathbone) the tree owner is http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/pt/perso...37741051&ssrc=

Margaret

PS a further look at this tree indicates the name is Rawbone and has mutated for Mary Jane !
                    Last edited by margaretmarch; 08-04-12, 16:06.

Comment

Thank-you Everybody. Jane - that is a really interesting find about Mary Orgles as my father's tree has Mary Argles! to close to be a coincidence but he has her linked to an Edmund Cozens which is obviously wrong - along with the legend a Norfolkman lived and died at Epsom! I'm wondering whether it was possibly her second marriage and she was previously a Bugg or Cozens. Yes I'm clutching at straws but obviously there was some relationship between Samuel Cozens and Edmund Prier as he was the only other person named in Samuel's will except for his children.

Edmund Prier's first marriage appears to be a Sarah Lefeaux in Whitchapel 4Q 1849. In the 1851 census his sister Agnes is with them.
                      Bo

Comment

Now I can see why I didn't find Edmund in 1851, his age is shown 10 years out! It looks like Sarah died in Hackney in 1866.

Comment

Working...
                        X