Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Annie Maria Bennett - where is she in 1871?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annie Maria Bennett - where is she in 1871?

Hi everyone

According to info gleaned from various census records, Annie Maria Bennett was b. abt 1868/9 in Brierley Hill, Staffs.

Working backwards from 1911, she's in Hucknall, married to Absalom Walker (she dies in 1948)

In 1901 she's in Hucknall with Absalom

In 1891, Absalom is with his mum in Hucknall, but Annie Maria is in Ormesby, Middlesborough with her baby daughter, father "Jesse", and four brothers (Josiah, Edward, John and William)

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=6598&iid=NRYRG12_4006_4 008-0387&fn=Annie+M&ln=Walker&st=r&ssrc=&pid=1193205

and then that's where the problems start.

In 1881 she (assuming it is her) is still in Ormesby with a different father (this one is called Josiah, and he's 14yrs older than "Jesse") but she still has brothers called Josiah, Edward and John who are 10yrs younger than they are in 1891 [William wouldn't have been born in 1881], plus a couple of older siblings and one younger one

Given the names, ages and places of birth of Annie, Josiah jnr, Edward and John, I'm inclined to think that this is the same Annie.

But no matter how hard I try, I cannot find her in 1871. According to Genes Reunited, there's an Annie Bennett b. 1868 on the 1871 census living in "Stourbridge, Kingswinford", but Ancestry won't pop it up for me.

I have established that Annie Maria and Absalom were married at Basford Registry Office, so there's no info available from Parish Records.

Can anyone else find her (and, therefore, her father/mother) in 1871, please?

Thanks for helping.
    STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

there is a Annie Bennett living with her Grandmother who is Ann Maria Brown so same middle name ?

Thats the one you cant find on Ancestry its been mistranscribed as Bannatt ?I have corrected it
    Last edited by Guest; 07-04-12, 17:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
      there is a Annie Bennett living with her Grandmother who is Ann Maria Brown so same middle name ?

Thats the one you cant find on Ancestry its been mistranscribed as Bannatt ?I have corrected it
      And I think her parents are here RG10 piece 4856 folio 35 page 63, 10 Nelson Street Ormesby
      Josiah Bennet aged 27 (so looks like that 1881 age was a mistake - perhaps enumerator couldn't read schedule when writing up his book) Sarah aged 28 with children Walter 9 and Mary 7
      Last edited by JudithM; 07-04-12, 18:13.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Oh, when I saw Val's post and Annie wasn't with her parents, my heart sank.

But then I saw Judith's and I was happy again.

Thanks both.

Anyone got any theories about "Jesse" in 1891 though?

STG

Edited to say : Oh, and Walter turns up in Bulwell (next to Hucknall) in 1901 and 1911 with wife and 16 surviving children (from 18 - eek! - born). They occupy two adjacent houses. LOL
        Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 07-04-12, 18:39.

Comment

's me again.

I'm struggling to find a marriage for Josiah Bennett and Sarah A Somebody. Various census info gives them both b. Brierley Hill and their eldest known child, Walter, b. 1862-65 (info varies) was also born there.

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks
          STG

Comment

josiah can be mistaken for joseph.

Comment

maybe you need a birth cert to establish mother's maiden name.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                maybe you need a birth cert to establish mother's maiden name.
                If only!

With a common surname like Bennett and common first names, there are just tooooooooooo many to choose from - even if I could narrow it down to just a few.

If Josiah's parents were Richard and Mary, then I'm assuming that Ann Maria Brown must be Sarah A's mother. Will see if I can track her back in time....

STG

Comment

ah now there isa marriage for a Joseph Bennett and a Sarah Bird in Sep 1860 Dudley Staffordshire 6C 3 and
                  a marriage for a Joseph Bennett and a Sarah Hunt in Dec 1860 same place 6C 117

Comment

there is also a marriage for a Josiah Adolphus Bennett and a Sarah Williams in Sep 1862 St George Southwark 1D 193

Comment

I think she might be Sarah A Stevens, who married Joseph Bennett, Dudley, Q4 1862.

There's a Sarah A Stevens b. Kingswinford on the 1851 and 61 census records with her parents, William and Ann(e) Maria.

STG

Comment

that marriage says Sarah Ann Stephens not Stevens on FMP ???

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                          that marriage says Sarah Ann Stephens not Stevens on FMP ???
                          Thanks Val.

If Sarah's mother is Ann Maria Brown, married to Edward Brown, then someone on Ancestry has them marrying in abt 1873, which is before Ann Maria's 1st husband William dies (because he, Ann Maria, Sarah and siblings are on the 1881 census together). Which means that I don't know who anyone is any more.

Think I'll give it a rest for today and do a bit of knitting instead. I'm making some of these

cheers
                          STG

Comment

now now dont give up so easily ;)

Comment

An Edward Brown married a possible Ann Maria Stevens in Dudley in June 1853 6c 97. Maybe they put 73 instead of 53 by mistake. Sorry, I know that only confuses the issue.
                              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                An Edward Brown married a possible Ann Maria Stevens in Dudley in June 1853 6c 97. Maybe they put 73 instead of 53 by mistake. Sorry, I know that only confuses the issue.
                                According to http://www.westmidlandsbmd.org.uk, that ceremony took place at St Thomas, Dudley.
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                X