Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify This Soldier's Regiment Please

Hi Gurus

My research so far tells me that this photo was taken in Catford, London SE6 between 1912-1938 and I would love to try and work out who he is. Can anyone tell me his rank and regiment please. I think he is a sergeant going by the stripes.

Many thanks
    Carokers

[IMG][/IMG]

Looks like a staff sergeant working as a blacksmith, some calvary unit maybe

Comment

Many thanks pilgrim - i will have a dig around for a blacksmith now.

Comment

is badges of rank are those of a staff sergeant artificer, not a blacksmith. The collar dogs should be easily

identifiable by someone with a knowledge of the British army.

If you have a look up on British badge forums or similar you should be able to identify the regiment.
        Last edited by grumpy; 07-04-12, 22:45.
        Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Information about Army Lists, and how they can be used in your genealogical research. ALso includes reviews, a search of the current products, and other military records and information.

this might help

Comment

I think it was grumpy who's identified some photos recently

Comment

great war forum might be able to tell you if he is WWI, and the regiment etc if so.

Comment

If we could have a name and service number I can put a query on the GWF as I am a member of that august institution.:D

David

Comment

Many thanks for your efforts and answers I have some work to do here!

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
                    If we could have a name and service number I can put a query on the GWF as I am a member of that august institution.:D
                    I am afraid I am not sure. I just came across this photo a couple of months ago and wondered who is was; that is why I wanted to know where in the regiments he may have been so I could pick a name. The most likely name so far is Alfred Arthur Pitman (1898-1972) born Ilford, Essex. No service number I'm afraid, I have searched all paperwork I can find and there is nothing I haven't already identified.

Many thanks
                    Regards
                    Carokers

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                      great war forum might be able to tell you if he is WWI, and the regiment etc if so.
                      I went on that forum and they were brilliant too. My mystery soldier apparently belonged to Royal Army Ordnance Corps. He has a fitters arm badge so was an armament artificer part of the engineering branch.

Thanks for the pointer.

Cheers
                      Carokers

Comment

I found this forum for British Badges http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums - They were a good help and apparently my man was in the Royal Army Ordinance Corp Fitters Arm Badge, armament artificer so part of the engineering branch.

Thanks again
                        Carokers

Comment

Carokers,
                          I believe that the Arthur A Pitman that shows up on the medal cards (8451 Royal Field Artillery and 617133
                          Labor Corps) is not the one that belongs to your photo. The possibility exists therefore that the photo was taken later
                          rather than sooner in the date range that you gave (1912-1938). Is it possible that the photo may be WW2 related ?

David

Comment

Hi Grumpy
                            I wrote that record down but don't really think it's him either, I am yet to be convinced. I am still in the process of checking the electoral registers, he appears to be living in Hammersmith mostly throughout the 1920s and early 1930s, although my mum was born in Catford so he could have been visiting. I think he would have been too old for WW2 as he would have been in his early 40's by then. I'll crack it you'll see. Roll on the 1921 census.

Thanks again
                            Caroline

Comment

not necessarily too old for WW2 my friends father was in REME and served in N Africa he was born in 1901!
                              2 of my Great uncles also served in both wars

Comment

Agree with Nicky, my g/father was 48 when he was called up in ww1 and my opinion is that as an
                                ordnance artificer experience would be more valuable than age. Can't do much more at the moment
                                as I am on hols and haven't got any notes or anything with me.

David

Comment

Thanks for that. My grandad was just lucky then - mind you he was a bootmaker more valuable to all those marching feet!

Comment

Hi Grumpy
                                    I was just saying to Nicky by Grandad was just lucky he fought the WW1 but got out the 2nd one.

Enjoy your hols.

Comment

Working...
                                    X