Help with death and marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with death and marriage

Amos Stephen Pearce married Sarah in 1879 in Kent. On the 1891 census Amos shows as Married but there is no Sarah. He does have a Housekeeper Annie Cooper and they live in Northfleet in Kent.
    On the 1901 census Annie is married to Amos. On the 1911 census it says they have been married for 25 years which is not right.
    Can anyone find a death for Sarah after 1891 as Amos states Married on that census, and a Marriage for him and Annie.
    I am also trying to work out which children belonged to who.
    Thank you
    Ann

Have you found Sarah on any census Ann? Do you know anything about her i.e. when/where born, parents names etc?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Just checking, so I can look for Sarah by age/birthhplace, is this the right Amos and Sarah in 1881? Northfleet Kent RG11 piece 876 folio 67 page 60

Oh blow, seeing one year old Rosina on 1881 I had hoped to look for Sarah with her in 1891 but guess she was the Rosina Charlotte Pearce born N Aylesford Q2 1880, died Q4 1881 aged 1. :(
      Last edited by JudithM; 07-04-12, 11:57. Reason: added info
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Hello Judith yes that is them for 1881.
        Hello Chrissie, I dont have any other info for Sarah as when I looked on BMD for their marriage there were 2 Sarahs and I dont know which one it was.
        Thank you, just going to have some lunch as all this searching makes me hungry
        Regards Ann

Comment

Poor little Rosina Charlotte died in Dec 1881:(

Comment

It's more likely to be Sarah Lee as there is a birth that fits for her in Sept 1857 in Dartford. The Sarah Jane Dadson birth in Dartford in 1853 would have made her about 27.

Comment

There is a marriage in Camberwell in June 1915 of an Amos S Pearce and on the same page an Annie E Cooper?

Comment

Well, if Sarah didn't marry again the most likely death I can find is Sarah Pearce Dec 1892 in Maidstone aged 32. So if that marriage to Annie is your Amos perhaps they couldn't marry before because she was already married?

p.s. Have found a likely birth for Annie Emily Cooper though in March 1868 in Gravesend 2a 407. So not sure why they wouldn't marry until 1915?
                Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 07-04-12, 12:49.

Comment

There is a death for an Amos S Pearce born c 1859 in Jan-March 1932 - aged 73 - Camberwell London - 1d 1081

and a possible death for Annie E Pearce born c1867 in July-Sept 1816 aged 49 in Camberwell 1d 828.
                  Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 07-04-12, 12:46.

Comment

Chrissie this looks great,
                    It does look as if this marriage in 1915 is mine. His middle name was Stephen. I have his sons marriages all around him, all in Camberwell.
                    Perhaps he decided it was about time, or possibly she was ill and she died the next year.
                    Thank you so much for your help as I can now go back with Sarah. I sometimes wish we knew the real stories but we can only guess a lot of the time.
                    Regards
                    Ann

Comment

You're welcome Ann. The certs would be needed of course to be sure.
                      I really think now that it was Sarah Lee that he married as Sarah Jane Dadson appears to have married the other chap on the page (found them in 1881).

Comment

I have a sneaking suspicion that Amos (jnr) was registered under Annie's name in Strood in 1887 - Amos George P Cooper as I can't find a birth under Pearce.

Comment

Ditto an Annie Beatrice P Cooper birth in Strood Dec 1888 2a 516. and Ditto William Pearce Cooper - Strood March 1890 2a 537.

Comment

Hello Chrissie
                            I wouldnt have thought of looking under Cooper for the births. It looks like they were given both surnames and the relationship between Amos and Annie was going on a lot longer than I thought. As you know Amos and Sarah had Rosina who died at 1 year old. I must look to see if they had any more children between 1881 and 1887 when Amos was born to Annie.
                            They dont make things easy for us do they
                            Regards
                            Ann

Comment

They don't do they Ann I hope it's helped you on your way though.

Comment

Might be worth trawling the Strood parish registers on Medway City Ark (http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/):

Strood, St. Francis of Assisi baptisms 1941-1967 (P150E)

Strood, St. Mary the Virgin baptisms 1869-1993 and marriages 1869-1955 (P150D)

Strood, St. Nicholas of Myra CMB 1565-1977 (P150B)

If you do decide to use that site, you need to remember that the images aren't indexed by name, so it's worth making sure you note exactly which images you've looked at. It can give you clues as to how many images you can jump if your first guess is wrong.

Christine
                                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 10-04-12, 22:29.
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                X