Scotland look up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland look up

Could some kind person please look for any COLTHUP marriages in Scotland. I do not expect more than one or two, indeed there may be none.
    Last edited by webwiz; 06-04-12, 22:08.
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

I'll have a look I've got a couple of spare credits.
    Margaret

Comment

Couldn't find any for either male or female surname of COLTHUP for 1855 - 2009 on an exact search.

For traditional soundex search there are 21 results for female surname and 17 for male surname. But looking at the results none look like Colthup to me and would not sound like that either!!

Margaret
      Last edited by margaretmarch; 06-04-12, 22:31.

Comment

Looking on the BMD index on ancestry all the Colthup marriages from 1837 to 1915 are in Kent and London and there are only 91 one them.
        Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret. I am not surprised, but I have one Colthup marriage, Frederick to a Scottish lady called Margaret between 1873 when he was widowed and 1881 which I can't find, and thought it might just have been in Scotland.

Comment

Do you think this could be them.........
            There is a marriage 30 Oct 1874 in Boston Massachusetts between Frederick Colthup,28yrs,Occ Carpenter,born England & Margaret Kerr,28yrs born Scotland.
            His parents are Charles & Elizabeth. Her parents are George & Emma. It is her Ist Marriage and his 2nd.I see in the 1861 uk census that Frederick is at home with his parents Charles and Elizabeth. Also in the 1881 his occupation is a carpenter.
            The link below should take you to the page.
            Rgds Matt

My avatar is my fathers father,name unknown.............................

Comment

Well done Matt, this is definitely them, thanks.

Comment

Which leaves me looking for the marriage of George Kerr and Emma prior to 1845. I don't have any other Scottish connections.

Comment

Can't see a birth for Margaret to George and Emma nor can I see them on any census. Do you know where in Scotland Margaret was born?

Margaret is on the US 1870 census as a domestic servant in the household of a man whose occupation was Joiner - I guess that's how they met if Frederick was a carpenter.

Margaret

Comment

Can't see a marriage for George Kerr to Emma on www.familysearch.org from 1830 -1845

Margaret

Comment

Sorry, I should have said that Margaret's place of birth is given as Stranraer in Wigtownshire. My theory is that the whole family emigrated between 1845 when she was born and 1851 when they do not seem to appear on the census. Then she married Frederick in Boston in 1874 and they returned to the UK before 1881. Both of Frederick's sons, one by his first wife and one by Margaret, emigrated to the US as adults, maybe through Margaret's connections there.

Comment

Right - I did wonder when Margaret might have gone to USA and was looking for her and her family on censuses before 1870 but can't see them.
                        Margaret

Comment

I think this is the family in 1870. Connecticut is not far from Boston

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

You may find Boston directories useful. If you google them, I think they'll show up online
                          Last edited by PhotoFamily; 08-04-12, 03:28.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                            I think this is the family in 1870. Connecticut is not far from Boston

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

You may find Boston directories useful. If you google them, I think they'll show up online
                            Not sure that family can be the right one as Margaret says her mother was named Emma on her marriage. Also there is a 2 year old named Margurite in the family and that is the same as Margaret.

Maybe a second wife though.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                              Not sure that family can be the right oneMargaret
                              Yes, by the light of day, I don't like it either! Margaret is born in the US, not England.

Comment

Thanks to everyone that responded. It looks like another brick wall for now.

Comment

Working...
                                X